What do you carry your tools in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KVA

I'm always seeing new toolbags to buy and to be honest I'm getting sick of buying them! :lol:

I have like 5 different types of tool bags and 4 of them just collect dust. The one i use now is great and organizes the tools nicely just somewhat small. In theory all these nicely organized toolbags work but at the end of the day we all know how organization works... throw it all in the bag and leave.

So with that said now I'm thinking about going back to a toolbox because it all ends up a mess anyway.

I use this now:
DG5582.jpg

Want to buy this:
DWST24070_F2.jpg

I like this one because the parts tray on top can put wire nuts etc. there and my tools inside.

MJW

I have the tool box you are looking at and have a couple gripes. The metal latches on the top part keep popping off. If you don't latch them and a strong wind comes up or you look at them wrong they are sitting on the ground next to the box. The second thing is it's not very easy (for me) to open the top box with one hand and reach in to grab something with the other. I do like that the top part comes off and I can take it with me if it is just a small job. I've been looking for a tool box I like for years and have not had much luck. Good luck with your search.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I stopped carrying tools, other than a computer, small flashlight, and a pocket knife. Every plant I go to has either electricians or maint guys to provide whatever tools are needed.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Before I used my shirt pocket to carry the only tool I need (a pen) I used a CLC soft sided too tote that has a cloth handle, 2 wheels and plastic runners on the bottom. I also, always have tool bags with suspenders. I firmly believe in wearing your tools when you are working construction. But, That drag behind bag was so cool. I drop my tool pouches in it, and it would drag up over curbs or up stairs no problem. Wheel across the floor, and when I got where I needed I dropped it, picked up my tool pouches and put them on. I usually had what I needed to do the job.

renosteinke

I also have a variety of tool totes, and most of them are collecting dust.

It's not that they're bad; it's just that the circumstances of my job have changed. Even today I'll change carriers for specific tasks.

I once had a fairly lightweight belt with an assortment of small pouches for individual tools. This later got replaced by a rear-pocket based 'multi-pouch' and a Skillers vest. Apart from tools, the pockets on the vest are awesome for carrying parts.

My open-top carrier - very similar to the one you show - was replaced by a CLC bag that is essentially a traditional electrician's pouch, with a zip flap added to keep it all in. Make a way to stand it up, and this bag would be perfect for hand tools.

The open-top carrier now serves as a collection point for my various meters and leads. Even then, my primary meter has changed to one of those 'stick' meters that fit so well in a pocket.

I've also used open, rigid "pails" quite a bit. They're quite useful for carting various tools and parts for specific tasks, especially when you're crawling around in an attic or crawl space. The original was one of those split things usually used to tote cleaning supplies; it's been replaced by a Werner tote that is also designed to hang from a Werner ladder.

Larger, more remote jobs get my "horse." That's a 2-wheel cart that's been modified a bit to carry pipe benders and act as a wire cart. I have a variety of crates and boxes that I can load on this cart .... it's very much like I 'invented' what later became the Festo "Systainer" system; we were certainly thinking along the same lines.

My final 'tote' is something I made from PVC rain gutter. It's designed to hang from the rails of a lift, and give me a place for small tools and parts.

mike7330

Does your tool bag, box have wheels? They look very heavy! I would have to take a nap if I had to lug all those tools around.
;)
I'm always seeing new toolbags to buy and to be honest I'm getting sick of buying them! :lol:

I have like 5 different types of tool bags and 4 of them just collect dust. The one i use now is great and organizes the tools nicely just somewhat small. In theory all these nicely organized toolbags work but at the end of the day we all know how organization works... throw it all in the bag and leave.

So with that said now I'm thinking about going back to a toolbox because it all ends up a mess anyway.

I use this now:
DG5582.jpg

Want to buy this:
DWST24070_F2.jpg

I like this one because the parts tray on top can put wire nuts etc. there and my tools inside.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
What do I carry my tool in? Well I keep the pencils in a pocket protector in my shirt pocket, and I keep my slide rule attached to my belt with a belt loop. :lol:

G0049

What do I carry my tool in? Well I keep the pencils in a pocket protector in my shirt pocket, and I keep my slide rule attached to my belt with a belt loop. :lol:

A white pocket protector and a grey slide rule holster; both to coordinate with black horn-rimmed glasses? :lol:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
My slide rule case is brown. What do you mean by "color coordination"? I have never heard of that concept before. :happyno:

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
I went to a 6" (actually 15 cm) circular - black leather case, yellow Al. Pull that thing out and you can even freak the enginerds.

Doesn't color coordinate with anything (except maybe my eyes during the full moon) :blink:

ice

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
images.jpeg

I got 2 of these one for hand tools and one for power tools and jars.

Speshulk

How do you work going up and down a ladder with a tool bag or tool box?

I've always worn a tool belt. Hard for me to imagine doing it any other way, but maybe that's because it's the way I've been doing it since I was 12.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
How do you work going up and down a ladder with a tool bag or tool box?

I've always worn a tool belt. Hard for me to imagine doing it any other way, but maybe that's because it's the way I've been doing it since I was 12.

When working on the ladder I use a tool belt instead of the tool box.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician

I use this now:
DG5582.jpg

Want to buy this:
DWST24070_F2.jpg

All new tools? Or have you got some kind of system figured out where you don't have to use your tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.