Backup power question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)

it almost seems like for all this screwing around it might be just as cost effective to buy a real trasnfer switch.
I've not ever seen a 1600A (or 3000A) transfer switch. I'm sure someone makes one - although I don't know why. All the installations I have seen are two electric interlocked 1600A CBs in switchgear. Of course that means the install is three wire and one has to do something with the neutral - also probably still true for the proposed install.

In this case, the certification is the point. Considering the temporary gen will be used once/decade to never, the install can be pretty inconvient and it won't matter. Just needs to be safe and have a good procedure. Ful has it really, really, really, well covered. Like the man said, "I think that is enough dynamite, Butch."

ice

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor

I've not ever seen a 1600A (or 3000A) transfer switch. I'm sure someone makes one - although I don't know why. All the installations I have seen are two electric interlocked 1600A CBs in switchgear. Of course that means the install is three wire and one has to do something with the neutral - also probably still true for the proposed install.

ice

They use motorized breakers tied to a common buss, I have installed lots of 2000 amp ones. They are electrically and mechanically interlocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.