SHUNT-TRIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

j rae

Just want to know. I have a shunt-trip breaker feeding another shunt-trip main. Is this any code violation or could this just cause a nuisance. These are both controlled by the same fire alarm panel.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If they are both shut off by the same fire alarm system at the same time and one breaker is downsteam of the other one, why waste the money on the downsteam one?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I suspect the question is: Does he need to waste money takeing it out?

ice

I don't see any code violation. But if its a nuisance problem, you could always just disconnect the 2nd shunt trip coil instead of replacing the breaker.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Just want to know. I have a shunt-trip breaker feeding another shunt-trip main. Is this any code violation or could this just cause a nuisance. These are both controlled by the same fire alarm panel.

It sounds a bit kludgey to me but...

Does the first shunt trip breaker feed anything else besides the second? If so, maybe there are situations when the fire alarm panel is programmed to shunt the second breaker, but not the first.

jap

Occupation
Electrician

They may both be controlled by the same fire alarm panel but the question is, are they both activated by the same signal?
If they are both activated by the same signal, I dont see the need for the 2nd shunt trip breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.