2008 missing 445.20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the index of the 2008 NEC under generators, look for portable, and it lists article 445.20. I tried to find this article and it does not exsist. Is there somewhere else I might find information on portable generators? I've found a little on grounding and disconnects in 702 II and III, but I'm more concerned with the mistake in the code book and hope it doesn't come up in my upcoming state lisence test.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Looks like you found an error in the 2008. There isn't an article for 445.20 but 250.34 covers portable genny's. Is there a specific you want to know

Nothing specific. It came up on a practice quiz and I just wanted to know where to look if it came up on my license test. And I thought if I brought it up on here word might get to the right people to make sure this mistake isn't in future editions. Thanks for the reply

jumper

445.20 was a proposal for GFCI protection of 125V and 125/250V 15/20/30A receptacles on portable generators.

It was accepted and then got hung up at the comment stage. It never made into the 2008 NEC and apparently the annex was never changed.

In the 2011 NEC the GFCI requirement for those receptacles was added to 590.6(A)(3) and it covers portable generators 15kW or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.