States or cities that require labeling or listing by an NRTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmdr_Suds

My understanding is that the NEC doesnt actually require equipment to be listed or labeled (the AHJ would still have to approve it otherwise) but a number of states and cities have made it a requirement. Does anyone have a list of such states and cities?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The code itself requires the use of listed products in many cases. For example most of the raceway articles require the use of listed raceways and fittings.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
For over-the-top NRTL requirements, Washington State requires just about everything that plugs in to be tested by a Washington approved testing agency. I thought Oregon and California has the same or similar requirements at the State level. It seems to only be enforceable for equipment that requires a permit to install. If you bought a chinese blender that wasn't listed, there's no one to stop you from using it unless you let an inspector examine it. But with the big companies that try to follow the law, they tend to have processes to make sure you buy listed equipment or go get a NRTL to come and evaluate it.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
For over-the-top NRTL requirements, Washington State requires just about everything that plugs in to be tested by a Washington approved testing agency. .

This is not new, and has been a requirement in Washington State Electrical Laws (RCW 19.28) since 1935.
I prefer and want product listing and labeling, it levels the playing field. I see a lot of unlisted control panels, with the resulting poor workmanship and safety issue.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Here's NC's statute 66-25

? 66‑25. Acceptable listings as to safety of goods.
All electrical materials, devices, appliances, and equipment shall be evaluated for safety and suitability for intended use. This evaluation shall be conducted in accordance with nationally recognized standards and shall be conducted by a qualified testing laboratory. The Commissioner of Insurance, through the Engineering Division of the Department of Insurance, shall implement the procedures necessary to approve suitable national standards and to approve suitable qualified testing laboratories. The Commissioner may assign his authority to implement the procedures for specific materials, devices, appliances, or equipment to other agencies or bodies when they would be uniquely qualified to implement those procedures.
In the event that the Commissioner determines that electrical materials, devices, appliances, or equipment in question cannot be adequately evaluated through the use of approved national standards or by approved qualified testing laboratories, the Engineering Division of the Department of Insurance shall specify any alternative evaluations which safety requires.
The Engineering Division of the Department of Insurance shall keep in file, where practical, copies of all approved national standards and resumes of approved qualified testing laboratories. [FONT=Times New (W1)](1933, c. 555, s. 3; 1989, c. 681, s. 1.)[/FONT]

Roger

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
This is not new, and has been a requirement in Washington State Electrical Laws (RCW 19.28) since 1935.
I prefer and want product listing and labeling, it levels the playing field. I see a lot of unlisted control panels, with the resulting poor workmanship and safety issue.

It seemed to be "new" about 10 years ago, but perhaps it was just awareness being raised. I think people thought it applied to electrical premises equipment only (like switchboards, control panels, etc), but when a 1940's drill press or special heater/shaker was also required to be NRTL certified that is when it started causing problems.

I think the most aggravating thing for me is items we build for internal use, such as equipment test racks. Individual items are usually listed (but power supplies can bite you depending on vendor), but the whole assembly may need to get evaluated. Seems to be a gray area as to when this needs to occur and when it doesn't.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The Statute is badly written. There is no definition what constitutes an "approved national standard" or what authority approves the "approved qualified testing laboratories". NRTL on the other hand is defined by OSHA and each of the approved laboratory is listed by them.
Not only is it badly written, it's just plain stupid overall.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.