feeders and controll wireing in same raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilg

300.3(C) states all conductors must have same insulation ratings. This is a common violation with residential gen. systems we see. Many contractors use phone/thermostat type cables for the controls and run in the same conduit.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
300.3(C) states all conductors must have same insulation ratings. This is a common violation with residential gen. systems we see. Many contractors use phone/thermostat type cables for the controls and run in the same conduit.

You need to read the informational note in that section. Just because the control conductors have the same voltage rating does not automatically mean that they can be in the same raceway with the power conductors.

kwired

Electron manager
725.48(B)(1):
Class 1 circuits and power-supply circuits shall be permitted to occupy the same cable, enclosure, or raceway only where the equipment powered is functionally associated.

If the control circuit is a class 1 circuit and the feeder is the supply from the generator then I would call that functionally associated.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
725.48(B)(1):

If the control circuit is a class 1 circuit and the feeder is the supply from the generator then I would call that functionally associated.

I agree, if the power supply said Class 2 Only then you would need the required separation regardless of the conductor type.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
725.48(B)(1):

Even if the NEC allows it I would read the Mfgrs. installation instructions. A lot of them do not permit mixing control with power.

kwired

Electron manager
Even if the NEC allows it I would read the Mfgrs. installation instructions. A lot of them do not permit mixing control with power.
A point worth consideration. I guess one could call it a 110.3 (B) violation. At very least it could void any factory warranties.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
A point worth consideration. I guess one could call it a 110.3 (B) violation. At very least it could void any factory warranties.

Yes, If mfgr. instructions prohibit it that is what they will point at if a failure to start or transfer occurs. Of course the H.O. is going to hold installer responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.