Wireway - computer rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... Ive never used divider before but that's an angle I will investigate today. The 6000 wiremold wireway is definitely large enough to accomodate a divider with some circuits and devices on one side and the other half on the other. Thoughts here?

... but I believe a divider in the wireway creates 2 wireways. So you could have 60 conductors without derating. But I could be wrong.

There is no specific wording in the NEC which says a divider in a wireway makes it two wireways... nor is there any that says it does not. IMO, it does not. A wireway with a divider is just that, not two wireways.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
There is no specific wording in the NEC which says a divider in a wireway makes it two wireways... nor is there any that says it does not. IMO, it does not. A wireway with a divider is just that, not two wireways.

I agree with the "no specific wording". I admit its subject to debate, but if you look at half of a divided raceway, it seems like it could meet the definition of "an enclosed metal raceway with a removable cover.....".

If surface metal wireways were required to be listed as such, that might put an end to my argument. But I don't see that in the 2008 Code.

Sometimes I wish this rule would allow some calculations relating to how heavily loaded the wires actually are, but sometimes I guess its best to just keep it simple.

fmtjfw

I agree with the "no specific wording". I admit its subject to debate, but if you look at half of a divided raceway, it seems like it could meet the definition of "an enclosed metal raceway with a removable cover.....".

If surface metal wireways were required to be listed as such, that might put an end to my argument. But I don't see that in the 2008 Code.

Sometimes I wish this rule would allow some calculations relating to how heavily loaded the wires actually are, but sometimes I guess its best to just keep it simple.

The divider is used to separated signal and power in a single raceway. A raceway has all sides open to free air. The reason a divider is allowable because signal wiring is not expected to carry significant current and therefore not to cause much heating. Placing power conductors in both sections violates this assumption.

Further computer rooms loads are almost always 24/365 loads and generally the equipment in the room costs vastly more that in others settings (except bank vaults and perhaps jewelry shops). We have an internet hub in a local school in a room about 10x16 feet. The contents cost more than $300,000. Looking for ways to "squeeze" the Code is not a good idea for such a setting.

Modern business is highly dependent on computer operations. Disruptions can be very expensive, and lacking proper backups and recovery planning, can destroy a business.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Isn't the "wireway" in question a surface metal raceway, Article 386, not an Article 376 metal wireway? Since article 386 makes no mention of dividers wouldn't it fall back to the instructions included with the listing of the SMR as to whether or not a divider makes it two raceways?

fmtjfw

Isn't the "wireway" in question a surface metal raceway, Article 386, not an Article 376 metal wireway? Since article 386 makes no mention of dividers wouldn't it fall back to the instructions included with the listing of the SMR as to whether or not a divider makes it two raceways?

Quote from Wiremold for 6000:

"Steel raceway. Provides superior strength for any dry interior location installation.
Extra large cross sectional area. Provides space for large wiring requirements or installations that use large diameter cable for power and/or data/communications.
Dividable raceway base. Snap-in divider creates two-compartment raceway. For bringing large amounts of power and data/communications cable to one location. " Emphasis added.

Note raceway is singular. Note application is power and communications.

I've been running WM6000 since the 1960's. Give me some credit for knowing how it is to be used.:thumbsup:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I think you are correct, and I am in the wrong article. Wiremold calls their 6000 a raceway, not a wireway. And I do see that unlike wireways, raceways must be listed.

Raceways also have the additional requirement of needing 4 sq in of cross sectional area to avoid derating.

So a divider wouldn't make any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.