SEU going through back of meter socket and through stud wall into cellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
One problem may be just how much length is concealed and how the AHJ enforces 230.70(A)(1):

The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.

If it passes through a wall it is concealed where it passes through even if it is only a couple inches.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
But then it needs to be protected according to 230.50(B) no?
Yes where it is subject to damage-- that is a very subjective statement. Thru the back of a meter and down to a cellar panel IMO does not need protection- no different than NM cable entering the top of a panel.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Certainly 230.70 comes into play that is why I prefer to pipe out of the bottom of the meter and LB into the basement/cellar than LB into the panel if it is below grade.

Hendrix

Yes where it is subject to damage-- that is a very subjective statement. Thru the back of a meter and down to a cellar panel IMO does not need protection- no different than NM cable entering the top of a panel.
But........it isn't fused and running concealed behind sheetrock :?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Yep and that is why the distance is restricted. Some areas have an actual distance they allow once it enters the building. I was visualizing thru the wall and right into a panel. Can you not pipe it as I stated above.

kwired

Electron manager

Exactly why it should be limited in length. The section I quoted before addresses this but does not set a specific length, and applies to all service conductors not just SE cable. If you are using SE cable for non service applications where allowed you generally treat is about same as you would NM cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.