Aluminum Gutters and down spouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are aluminum gutters and downspouts considered metal water piping systems and are they required to be bonded according to 250.104 (A) (1)? If an overhead service drop conductor contacts and energises an aluminum gutter system and someone gets injured, is the electrician responsible for not bonding the gutter?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
They are not considered metal piping system. If overhead service conductors energize the gutters then it is POCO responsibility.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Pipe
1. a hollow cylinder of metal, wood, or other material, used for the conveyance of water, gas, steam, petroleum, etc.

I don't see how either the gutter or the downspout qualifies as a piping system.

OTOH, I am of the opinion that metal siding, roofing, gutters, downspouts , etc.probably should be bonded where there are overhead lines. The problem is that there just is not a good way to do it.

one could argue it is at least as likely to become energized as an indoor pipe is.

Last edited:

dicklaxt

I agree they are not piping systems in the true sense/definition of the word.I believe they are to be bonded in some manner if a "Lightning Protection" downcomer is close by to combat "side flash" so if that protection is there you need to check that code.I don't know the # right off hand.

dick

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I have never seen gutters/down spouts bonded/grounded unlee there is a lightning protection system installed.
I do wonder, however, about gutters/downspouts that have heat cable installed. The code seems to be silent on this and I have never seen one grounded/bonded, although it seems it would be a good practice to at least bond the gutter/downspout to the EGC of the supply circuit. I realize that these cables need at least 30ma GF protection, but it still seems like a good idea. I've seen a ton of heat cable installs without GF protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.