Unprotected aluminum URD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like some quick help...

I recently came across an installation where aluminum, three-conductor URD supplying a main circuit breaker panel (120/240v, 1Ph) was routed through a basement unprotected (not in conduit). While I know this cable is listed for direct burial, this just doesn't 'feel' or 'look' right the way it is openly installed in the structure. Before I recommend that it be corrected, I'd like to get some feedback.

Is this a violation of the NEC? If so, what section?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If it's actually URD with no other rating, it is not an approved NEC conductor for installation anywhere...... it is a utility conductor.
If it's URD/USE it is not approved for interior installations 338.12(B).
If its any other approved single conductor, it should be installed per 300.3

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
If it's URD/USE it is not approved for interior installations 338.12(B).

Augie.....They do make an version of URD that has a suffix of 8000 that is flame retardant and legal to be installed indoors. It would be good for this installation if it were installed in couduit.

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
Is this a feeder or service entrance? How far is it from the outside to the point of the main disconnect? I would be concerned that it does not meet the intent of having the main disconnect immediately upon entering the structure. Needs to be in conduit regardless.

kwired

Electron manager
Augie.....They do make an version of URD that has a suffix of 8000 that is flame retardant and legal to be installed indoors. It would be good for this installation if it were installed in couduit.

It likely also has additional markings such as USE/RHW, which is main thing that qualifies it to be acceptable as an NEC conductor.

USE only means it is a USE cable - which is limited to outdoor use. If it also has RHW or other similar markings that makes it acceptable for general use, but must be either buried or in a raceway as it is just a conductor type and not a wiring method.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation

My outlook may be incorrect, but I would be leery of accepting it due to the wording of 310.11, 310.13

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Really depends on what markings are on the conductors. All the stuff I have seen that has AA-8000 marked on it also has USE/RHW markings.

agree, but URD & 8000 alone would not work here.... RHW would be the salvation

Status
Not open for further replies.