Portable Generators Proper Hookup

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
OK, so since the storm last week I have spoken to dozens of portable genny owners and not one of them has hooked them up in a code compliant manner. If they ask what they've done wrong, most don't, I try to give them the minimum requirements required by the NEC Here's an outline what I consider to be the minimum requirements. Feel free to comment or add something that I've missed.

1- Breaker interlock between main and backfed CB's
2- Listed inlet box
3- Properly sized backfed CB and conductors.
4- Listed power cord

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Not NEC but tragically often overlooked here...

Generator located outside or in well ventilated space.

dicklaxt

I would bet most around here are just cranked up and let run without a ground rod and using extension cords to whatever,,,,,,,,,existing panelboard is not involved at all.

Kinda like camping out on the weekend.

dick

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't believe these are required for "temporary" hookups.

I included the listed cord set because many people that I've spoken with couldn't find a L14-30P so they just ran a piece of 10/3 NM cable and jammed it into the device on the generator. :eek:hmy:

What about signage at the service equipment? Does anyone see this as required for a portable genset?

702.7 Signs.
(A) Standby. A sign shall be placed at the service-entrance
equipment that indicates the type and location of on-site op-
tional standby power sources. A sign shall not be required for
individual unit equipment for standby illumination.

jumper

What about 408.36(D) for a back fed breaker using an interlock kit?

(D) Back-Fed Devices. Plug-in-type overcurrent protection
devices or plug-in type main lug assemblies that are
backfed and used to terminate field-installed ungrounded
supply conductors shall be secured in place by an additional
fastener that requires other than a pull to release the
device from the mounting means on the panel.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You beat me to the punch. I was going to start a thread listing weird things I've seen during this power outage. Most people can get by with a short power outage even up to 8 hours or so. They can even get on with their lives if they lose the food in their fridge. However, once you add cold to the equation they start doing very unscrupulous things. But I agree with you that the things you listed should be a minimum requirement and should be enforced by local officials. The problem is that these officials are stretched to the max and cannot go around house to house checking on people's generator hook-ups.

Being "Code compliant" can be entire thread unto itself. There are some that might argue that even doing all the things you suggest would not make the installation Code compliant. They'll be making these claims from their warm, cozy homes.

There was another thread started here regarding interlock kits and one of the items you listed is an interlock kit. It is not my intention to pirate this thread but many inspectors here in NJ will not allow interlock kits that are not UL Listed by the panel manufacturer. My contention is that people will do anything they can and go to any extent to keep their families warm. From my point of view I would rather see them do it safely (even if the device is UL tested and not UL listed) than to make a connection that is not safe.

Anyway, I hope you don't mind but here are some things that I've seen during this power outage that I hope your recommendations will help to correct :
  • Extension cords run (on the ground) across high traffic roads
  • Generator power cords made up with 2 male ends
  • 2KW generators attempting to power an entire house
  • Generators back-feeding through AC disconnects
  • Generators back-feeding through spa tub disconnects
  • Female ends of extension cords cut and used to back-feed into breaker panels
  • No attachment plugs and wires stuck into the 30 amp receptacles
  • Generators running inside detached garages (because HD told the HO you can't keep these generators out in the rain)
  • 120V outputs on generators fed directly into a breaker panel and jumped across a 2-pole breaker

jwelectric

I would bet most around here are just cranked up and let run without a ground rod and using extension cords to whatever,,,,,,,,,existing panelboard is not involved at all.

Kinda like camping out on the weekend.

dick
This is the way they are supposed to be used. I just for the life of me can't figure out why someone thinks they have to be connected to the house wiring system.

As to being used outside these little generators are not approved to be used in the weather unless listed for the purpose.
If being used as temporary power then 590.6(A)(3) mandates that the receptacle of 120/240 volts and 30 amps or less be GFCI protected and that it comply with 406.9(A)&(B) if it is outside in the weather.

I understand that these people are desperate for electricity but I can?t fathom in my mind how this lessens the minimum safety standards outlined by the NEC. How can anyone who has been trained in the electrical field and understands that the NEC is a minimum safety standard even think of how to circumvent the rules outlined therein?

We talk about the homeowners that are desperately looking for some way to have heat and the like in their homes, what about that handful of folks (and some have babies) that live in a multifamily complex. Should they be connecting generators to their panels also? Would they even be allowed to do so by the realtor?

I don?t look for a reason or excuse to circumvent the rules but instead look for a way to make a proper installation safely, NEC compliant. When I hear someone talk about how cold it is my mind drifts to those that are homeless and not only don?t have heat but don?t even have shelter from the elements. Maybe we should be thinking of a way to keep these folks warm and fed instead of worrying about someone who wants to connect a small generator to their home so they can flip a switch and have light.

Now you all have at it.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
desperate people do stupid things sometimes.

IMO, as long as they are not hooked up to the house wiring, I just don't care much.

if they hook it up to the house wiring, they ought to at least have some kind of transfer switch in place. beyond that, I am not sure I care all that much about the minor signage issues and other things that may or may not be 100% to code as long as they are not unsafe.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Does everyone agree with Mike that a portable generator connected to a house would fall under Article 590?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Does everyone agree with Mike that a portable generator connected to a house would fall under Article 590?

The way it is written you might shoe horn it in there. From context, it does not appear that it is intended to apply to the type of situation we are talking about.

It seems to me that article 702 is a much closer fit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The way it is written you might shoe horn it in there. From context, it does not appear that it is intended to apply to the type of situation we are talking about.

My thought as well. 702 does not reference 590.

jumper

What about 408.36(D) for a back fed breaker using an interlock kit?

(D) Back-Fed Devices. Plug-in-type overcurrent protection
devices or plug-in type main lug assemblies that are
backfed and used to terminate field-installed ungrounded
supply conductors shall be secured in place by an additional
fastener that requires other than a pull to release the
device from the mounting means on the panel.

Nobody agrees or disagrees. hmmmm...

joebell

It would depend on how the portable generator is utilized. if you are running extention cords to feed appliances then it is my opinion Art 590 could be applied but if you connect the generator into the premises wiring then Art 702 would be applied. I must admit I have seen more installations of these generators that would fall under Art 702 rather than Art 590.

ceb58

I would also agree with this. 590.2 (A) states that unless modified all other code requirements shall apply. 590.3(C) dose list emergencies as being permitted. However 590.2 (B) states it must be approved based on the condition of use. Now as a veteran of ice storms and hurricanes, welcome to NC, people will do what ever to get by. You cant always protect people from them selves. What I don't want to see is them do something that will hurt or kill a lineman that is busting his butt trying to get thing back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.