shop light outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

xparatrooper

I have heard of the ADA restriction on maximum height of outlets. I would like a set of outlets in my shop that satisfies the ADA and NEC requirements, and a SECOND circuit up high along the wall (not the ceiling, but close) that's sole purpose is to provide plug ins for hanging shop lights. Is anyone aware of any problems or concerns that such a configuration would cause?

kwired

Electron manager
The outlets up high for the "shop lites" are not a minimum requirement in NEC.

In fact the NEC has very few lighting outlet required locations outside of dwellings, but where they are required in dwellings is usually only a minimum of one lighting outlet in a room and some rooms it can even be a wall switched receptacle at any point on the wall.

I am not up to speed with ADA, but I would guess their requirements for receptacles is to put a certain number of receptacles in a particular area at specified heights. Does not mean there can not be additional outlets outside that zone. What good does it do to put a receptacle intended for a ceiling mounted light down near the floor vs. adjacent to where the light will be mounted?

Status
Not open for further replies.