Microsoft Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

mityeltu

This may not be the best place to ask for this kind of advice, but I don't know a location that has a more diverse population of intelligent people that this group, so.... I'll ask you.

I am changing positions within my organisation. The new position will involve database management and creation from the ground up. I need to learn the basics of access, but I don't want to learn it by doing little bits and pieces that don't really fir together.

I learned visual basic using Murach's books that went through building an entire functional application. By the end of the book, I had a deployable product. That is what I'm hoping to find in another book. Sadly, Murach did not tackle Access. Does anyone know of a book that teaches Access in this manner?

SQL .. is the way to go with a Business especially if it is Web based ....

Access is a poor-man's application builder, SQL is a query language. Not at all comparable.

So far, I haven't seen any good books on ms-access, and I've written a fair amount of ms-access code. O'Rielly had a decent one, but I'm sure it's out of date now. Otherwise, go to B&N/Borders (much as I don't like either) and browse the racks. (My problem with most books is that I want a reference, not a how-to. I already know both how-to and why in general, just need to know access does it.)

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I learned the basics using an Access book direct from Microsoft, from back in 1994 (SQL was not popular then).
The book was "Microsoft Access Building Applications", its document number was DB53727-0294.

Nothing fancy but it was a reasonable starting point.

mityeltu

I thought SQL was server based. I can't use that. This will be local. I need something that will be on my machine and not connected to either the net or to a server. That's why I figured access would be the coice. Is there a better solution for this application?

x743

Have you thought about using quick books.

Maybe some more detail on what your trying to do would be helpful. Access and Excel can be amazing but if you don't have to re-invent the wheel why do it?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
This may not be the best place to ask for this kind of advice, but I don't know a location that has a more diverse population of intelligent people that this group, so.... I'll ask you.

I am changing positions within my organisation. The new position will involve database management and creation from the ground up. I need to learn the basics of access, but I don't want to learn it by doing little bits and pieces that don't really fir together.

I learned visual basic using Murach's books that went through building an entire functional application. By the end of the book, I had a deployable product. That is what I'm hoping to find in another book. Sadly, Murach did not tackle Access. Does anyone know of a book that teaches Access in this manner?

how big a database, and how many users hammering on it at once?

my wife does HRIS for a fortune 500, and was in charge of the first implementation of oracle's peoplesoft 9.1
she might be a good person to ask, if i have a description of the size of what you are up to.....

Status
Not open for further replies.