fiberglass snake adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

Change 70E? Well, there's the challenge ...

How do you 'change' something that was never adopted? You're fighting a fog bank. That's the first problem.

It's not a law. It was never voted on by our elected representatives. it did not face scruitny in public debate.

Lest anyone say it IS law, I have a simple request: where may I obtain my FREE copy? Or, will I find on the title page the assertion that 70E is the copyright protected private property of someone?

Whether you loved Obama, Bush, et al., they at least stood for election. Unlike myriad 'trade groups,' they didn't just set themselves up as self-appointed kings, writing laws for others to follow, absent all the safeguards of our process.

70E is illegitimate.

Someone wants to bring up OSHA? OK, show me where OSHA published in the Federal Register that they were adopting 70E, that they were making it law.

Then, once you've done that, show me where the Constitution makes 'safety' a Federal concern. Heck, even murder is left to the states and counties - surely something as minor as PPE would also be a local matter.

70E is a symptom, not the disease. You might as well try treating TB with cough syrup.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
It's not a law.
You are correct that 70E is not a law.

OSHA is the law. The law says, protect your employees from known hazards. OSHA pretty much recommends following industry consensus standards, as they seem to recognize that each industry knows how to identify and cope with their 'unique' hazards and work conditions.

70E is simply a consensus standard for Electrical Safe Work Practices. 70E is purposely written with a lot of 'greyness' so that it functions as a guideline of rules to follow, not a 'how to do it' instruction guide. There are several places in 70E that mention determining the risk associated with a task as part of the hazard analysis.

People that fixate on the arc flash PPE requirement of 70E are really missing the big picture of safe work procedures. Arc flash PPE probably accounts for less than 5% of the subject matter for 70E.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Depending on the way the original conduit was ran, bur I have started using a vacuum & plastic bag to get pull lines in.

As long as you vac toward the known end, in our case the floor box. Never blow an unknown conduit. Could blow water & mud into a live panel or transformer. Vac it & check around til you find the txf or panel on the other end, locate by sound & airflow. this was a funky job with lots of unknown conduits in an old building.

macmikeman

Everyone has snaked a live panelboard.....

You make sure someone is at the panel with their hand over the opening or if it's an empty conduit you screw a rigid coupling with a penny plug on it. I would never intentionally push several feet of fishtape into a live panel. Insulated or not.

How about making that a PVC rigid coupling since its a "live panel". Even macmikeman drops objects by accident while screwing them in once in a while......

Status
Not open for further replies.