Panel Skirt Outdoors.....Hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan48476

Hello,
First time post, long time reader. Now for the meat.

Panel skirts cool, but outdoors? I'm having an issue recommending as a fix for 23 large I-line type panels with the bottoms removed and burried in a landfill... I don't think it is a great idea. Sure we mights see transformers and other types of equipment open on the bottom, but typically they are mounted to a concrete pad. The skirt would extend into the gravel grade. Low moisture area.... Is it a code violation to have a panel skirt outdoors?

The plus of using the skirt is it would mean less repair time VS punching 100s of holes basically rewiring panels, not to mention the cost of material.

The negative would be more access for things that live in the ground and moisture. What limited moisture there is in the desert climate I'm working in.

Can anyone lend a professional opinion with references or witness to me where this has worked or not worked? Or mabe cyber slap me and ask why would I recommend such a shoddy idea.

Thanks
Ryan

kwired

Electron manager
Hello,
First time post, long time reader. Now for the meat.

Panel skirts cool, but outdoors? I'm having an issue recommending as a fix for 23 large I-line type panels with the bottoms removed and burried in a landfill... I don't think it is a great idea. Sure we mights see transformers and other types of equipment open on the bottom, but typically they are mounted to a concrete pad. The skirt would extend into the gravel grade. Low moisture area.... Is it a code violation to have a panel skirt outdoors?

The plus of using the skirt is it would mean less repair time VS punching 100s of holes basically rewiring panels, not to mention the cost of material.

The negative would be more access for things that live in the ground and moisture. What limited moisture there is in the desert climate I'm working in.

Can anyone lend a professional opinion with references or witness to me where this has worked or not worked? Or mabe cyber slap me and ask why would I recommend such a shoddy idea.

Thanks
Ryan

Access to critters that live in the ground is my biggest concern, even with padmount transformers sometimes.

Even if they don't chew on wiring they will urinate in the enclosure and cause corrosive atmosphere to develop in there.

So the critter situation needs evaluation for any open bottom enclosures on grade. If it is a facility that has a food source, there will be critters, even if there is pest control methods in force.

Status
Not open for further replies.