Behind schedule job

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm mostly playing Devil's Advocate here:

If you are the last one to leave or are the only one there, especially if you are working late or on weekends, I think you should be responsible for locking up.

Perhaps. Single trade working on a small building, then I'd probably have no problem with it. If there are more than a few doors/windows that have to be checked, that starts to take some real time, and if there are more than my crew working there, I don't want to be responsible for what others have left me to close up. Unless, of course, you pay me for that :). I've spent too much time closing windows that painters left open and dealing with doors that wouldn't lock.

(I guess that's what I really meant, if it's just pulling a couple of doors closed, that's fine. But if someone else removed and hid the chain for a door, I don't want to spend my time looking for it. Or when the roll-up door jams two feet from closed.... Both have happened to me. I also don't want to get into "You SAID you locked up!" arguments when I know I did and somebody else came along after.)

kwired

Electron manager
I'm mostly playing Devil's Advocate here:

Perhaps. Single trade working on a small building, then I'd probably have no problem with it. If there are more than a few doors/windows that have to be checked, that starts to take some real time, and if there are more than my crew working there, I don't want to be responsible for what others have left me to close up. Unless, of course, you pay me for that :). I've spent too much time closing windows that painters left open and dealing with doors that wouldn't lock.

(I guess that's what I really meant, if it's just pulling a couple of doors closed, that's fine. But if someone else removed and hid the chain for a door, I don't want to spend my time looking for it. Or when the roll-up door jams two feet from closed.... Both have happened to me. I also don't want to get into "You SAID you locked up!" arguments when I know I did and somebody else came along after.)
A 5000 sf home is a large home, but not so large it takes much time to close windows and lock the doors. If you don't want to be responsible for locking up don't ever be the last one to leave, or the only one on site.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
John, I believe you forgot the tea and crumpets.

In the reality I work in, we are currently boxing under blue skies, and wait to pull wire until the fellas above us put a floor in to prevent them from dropping walls on our heads.

But keep going, I'm sure the 20 item demand list for the GC will be a big hit in the job trailer on Monday. :D

"For your part, plan on having 3 men and two vehicles on the job. Two guys to work, one to 'support'
and make parts runs, and fetch tea and crumpets. One of the vehicles can even be a small car -
it can carry everything but pipe. and a six pack of crumpets."

there, i fixeded it for you......

GerryB

"For your part, plan on having 3 men and two vehicles on the job. Two guys to work, one to 'support'
and make parts runs, and fetch tea and crumpets. One of the vehicles can even be a small car -
it can carry everything but pipe. and a six pack of crumpets."

there, i fixeded it for you......

You guys have me laughing now, I hope I'm not crying later. As i said the gc is very reasonable and easy going, the designer, his fiance is going to mark every outlet location per code with some extra for furniture location, and the gc and one of his guys are going to lay out and mount the 89 recess cans. I start tomorrow!

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
As i said the gc is very reasonable and easy going, the designer, his fiance is going to mark every outlet location per code with some extra for furniture location, and the gc and one of his guys are going to lay out and mount the 89 recess cans. I start tomorrow!

Fianc?e is the designer? She's going to do physical layout? GC is installing cans?

Man, you are looking at a long month. :D

I'd much rather lay out per the print, and let the designer follow me around. There's no better way to miss boxes on a custom than someone else laying it out for you, even a fellow electrician.

John120/240

You guys have me laughing now, I hope I'm not crying later. As i said the gc is very reasonable and easy going, the designer, his fiance is going to mark every outlet location per code with some extra for furniture location, and the gc and one of his guys are going to lay out and mount the 89 recess cans. I start tomorrow!

Having the fiance mark the recptacles & the GC lay out & hang 89 cans: At least this way you

are off the hook for wrong locations. Don't give back any labor $$ for work performed by others.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I like the GC hanging cans, framing issues are what slows that process down, should be more efficient for carpenter to install.

And I know what George means about missing boxes and cans hung by others, a little extra care and a very thourgh walkthru after roughin is complete will pay off later.

renosteinke

George and fulthrotl: Procuring the tea and crumpets is a necessary part of the run to the supply house :D

Yea, it's a wish list .... but, gosh dern it, something has to give. Keep tossing in obstacles, and the job won't get done on time. Period. The GC has to know this.

I remember a job I worked, helping build a 'home center.' The GC must have had 100 temps on site. Half did nothing but push brooms; the other half did nothing but take out trash. It was amazing the difference that made in everyone's productivity.

Contrast that to a job where drywall was stacked in the rooms WAY too soon. All I remember of that job was constantly fussing with my ladder, trying to set it up where I needed to be; that stack was always in the way. Or, the job where the office furniture was assembled in place before the electrical trim was done; it was simply impossible to access some of the devices afterwards. (Care to guess where the one bad connection was found?)

One rush job had the lead guy putting a bit of masking tape in every box, with a note like "blu,w,g." Later, when he suddenly had half a dozen apprentices show up to help finsh the job, all he needed to tell them was to go to each box and pull in the wires that were needed. Not only were multiple guys working from the devices 'in,' some were working from the panel 'out.' Amazingly enough, everything met in the middle just right, and everything worked. Deadline met.

That's the difference preparation and planning make. If the OP's GC simply thinks he can sit on his tail, barking out demands, and watch everything magically happen, he's dreaming.

Along those lines ....

I had a job where I arrived to find the walls erected were not even close to what the approved plans stated. Yup, they had completely redesigned the place. Well, no plans = no work. The customer could scream all they wanted, but the extra month's delay was completely their fault.

Another guy had the plumber tearing up the floor on the same day the rockers were supposed to hang rock, the electrician was supposed to run wires, and the ceiling was supposed to be hung - and all this in a room that was less than 100 sq. ft. Good luck with that. As it was, the GC just could not understand how having to cross a 5' deep trench that went straight across the doorway might slow things down a bit; he resisted setting up any sort of bridge as 'wasteful.' Fine; call me when it's filled in.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Car wash equipment room a few years ago, one full day we couldn't go in and out door due to concrete pour, had to climb ladder to top of wall and then down other ladder into room. Days like those is when a person really notices how many trips he makes to truck.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Reno, I am well aware that difficulties slow us down. It's called life, and I seldom find a sympathetic ear from a GC when I complain about them. An acknowledgement of the plight is about all we get.

Speaking of complaints, shorten your posts, I don't have all day. :angel:

renosteinke

Thank you for your kind words, and I shall try to learn from them.

GC can 'turn up the heat' all he wants; the cake won't bake any faster. He makes the delay, it's his problem.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Yes, you will have to stand up to the GC and not be afraid to get in his face. I agree with everyone else about security, toilets, closing in house, storage, etc.

Keep a notebook. Also a small recording unit, for when time is short. You can dictate a note to yourself for later. Can also use it to record GC or others if crazy demands or accusations are made.

Document each time GC brings up a change or new condition, each time you get to work and your work area is taken by someone else, etc. Anything that slows you down or changes your track. Small things add up & are difficult to remember later on.

Document each request you make to GC and any complaints you make to him. Keep the list handy and stay on him. You go to him on Mon, get no reply, go to him again at least Wed. "Who, what, where, when & why?".

We once had a GC call us for rough in. Stud walls were not yet completed! He always provided can lights but had none on the job. We nailed up a few boxes & drilled holes, then left, after calling our boss. He called GC & got cussed out for us leaving. A week later, he called again. We went & finished rough in. Had drywall against at least 1 wall in every room. He complained how long rough took & what it cost. On trim out, he fussed that we needed to make up time for the slow rough. He had no trim rings or bulbs on site & was missing some of the other lights too. Stuff he usually provided, by his own choice.

Yep, document it all.

Also, pack lunches, drinks & snacks as much as possible. Having to drive anywhere to eat kills more time than we realize. Rush jobs are always the time too, when you get a flat tire or held up behind a wreck.

Last edited:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
If you are the last one to leave or are the only one there, especially if you are working late or on weekends, I think you should be responsible for locking up.

Careful about working somewhere alone. If a remote location, you have a good chance of being robbed, or worse.

Speshulk

Having the fiance mark the recptacles & the GC lay out & hang 89 cans: At least this way you

are off the hook for wrong locations. Don't give back any labor $$ for work performed by others.

I like the GC hanging cans, framing issues are what slows that process down, should be more efficient for carpenter to install.

And I know what George means about missing boxes and cans hung by others, a little extra care and a very thourgh walkthru after roughin is complete will pay off later.

Screw that. It's gonna be you that looks stupid when people walk in to a house with recessed lights that don't line up and ask, "Who wired this place?" Think anyone's gonna say, "The GC installed the fixtures?"

I've found a modified work schedule can help when a job is under the gun.

Schedule your guys to work on Sunday (if that's legal in your area) when no one else is around to get in their way. Double/triple check to make sure all supplies are on site. Bring in an extra journeyman or two on that Sunday, and an extra helper (easier to get qualified,short term help on a weekend). Bring breakfast and lunch for your crew. Keep the crew happy.

It's amazing what one real good day can accomplish.

kwired

Electron manager
I've found a modified work schedule can help when a job is under the gun.

Schedule your guys to work on Sunday (if that's legal in your area) when no one else is around to get in their way. Double/triple check to make sure all supplies are on site. Bring in an extra journeyman or two on that Sunday, and an extra helper (easier to get qualified,short term help on a weekend). Bring breakfast and lunch for your crew. Keep the crew happy.

It's amazing what one real good day can accomplish.

That is fine, but are these workers going to expect more pay for working Sunday? Is the GC going to be willing to pay you more than your contract was because you did this? If it is your own fault you are behind that is one thing, if other trades are reason you are behind, why should you eat any costs related to it?

John120/240

good point

Screw that. It's gonna be you that looks stupid when people walk in to a house with recessed lights that don't line up and ask, "Who wired this place?" Think anyone's gonna say, "The GC installed the fixtures?"

Goodpoints readydave8 & Speshulk but if the GC, financee, or homeowner hang these cans

It is understood by ALL that GC, homeowner,or financee are responsible for code compliance

(can lights not installed in return air spaces) & appearance issues-can lights in a straight line

Status
Not open for further replies.