Using NM through block wall to outdoor generator receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike9593

Can NM be used from a dwelling basement through a block wall to feed the back of an outdoor generator receptacle? I think it would be considered a damp location, so I think it would be permissible since the conductors within NM are THHN.
If so, would a standard NM connector with duct seal be appropriate?

jazer

I am sure that there are some respectable folks out there that would argue against what you want to do, but really, as long as the NM is not exposed or visible outdoors it is is acceptable.

Cavie

Can NM be used from a dwelling basement through a block wall to feed the back of an outdoor generator receptacle? I think it would be considered a damp location, so I think it would be permissible since the conductors within NM are THHN.
If so, would a standard NM connector with duct seal be appropriate?

What do you have for proof that the conductors ar thhn? The wire in the wall and stopping in a box or disc. is allowed.

kwired

Electron manager
This has been debated on this forum before, usually involving outdoor lighting fixtures, outdoor receptacles, AC disconnects, or even entry into an outdoor mounted panelboard. The end result is still the same, it depends on how your AHJ interprets this, and that is who you should be asking, many places will accept this install, but not all will.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The code does not require the use of conductors or cables rated for wet loctions when they are installed in an enclosure that is installed in a wet location. If the conductors or cables are installed in a raceway that is installed in a wet location, then the conductors or cables must be listed for use in wet locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.