Ground not included with 480 Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nutmegzzzz

Installers were told today that because the ground wire is not included in the cable with the power and neutral wires that it isn't up to code. I understand the voltage to be 480VAC and this is for a furnace to be installed in a Semiconductor Clean Room. I tried to find this in the NEC (any year would be fine for now) but I am not too familier with it (I only get these questions once a year at most).

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if more information is needed I will get back to you ASAP.

Thanks,

Bill

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
300.3(B) requires all of the conductors of a circuit, including the Equipment Grounding Conductor to be in the same raceway or cable. You need a cable with the 3 phase conductors, the grounded conductor and an EGC to meet the code rule.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Installers were told today that because the ground wire is not included in the cable with the power and neutral wires that it isn't up to code. I understand the voltage to be 480VAC and this is for a furnace to be installed in a Semiconductor Clean Room. I tried to find this in the NEC (any year would be fine for now) but I am not too familier with it (I only get these questions once a year at most).

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if more information is needed I will get back to you ASAP.

Thanks,

Bill
2011 NEC
250.110 or 250.112
300.3(B)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There is a formal intrepretation process, but it takes months and is rarely used.
These things are cleared up by agreement with your AHJ and by the proposal and comment process that is used to re-write the code every 3 years.
I think a law suit would have to be directed at the AHJ and not the NFPA. The AHJ gives the document the force of law. The NFPA only provides a "model code" that can be adopted by AHJs.

realolman

OOO-Kaay....

300.3(B) says that - except for a couple specific exceptions - the EGC has to be in the same cable as the other circuit conductors....

... so IMO the EGC has to be within the cable ... wherever the cable is

Last edited:

JES2727

Thanks,

Bill

What type of cable was installed? If it is type AC the armor jacket is your grounding conductor. A ground wire is not required. See Sec. 320.108

G._S._Ohm

There is a formal intrepretation process, but it takes months and is rarely used.
These things are cleared up by agreement with your AHJ and by the proposal and comment process that is used to re-write the code every 3 years.
I think a law suit would have to be directed at the AHJ and not the NFPA. The AHJ gives the document the force of law. The NFPA only provides a "model code" that can be adopted by AHJs.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.