Strapping EMT conduit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
IMO as long as the emt is securely fastened then I don't see an issue however I would bet many EI may not like it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
358.30 says EMT shall be installed as a complete system. I would consider the emt strap part of the "system".
And where is that defined in the code. Tell me does the code tell us what kind of strap we must use? There is no UL listing for straps so again I think the tie wraps are compliant. I see them used with MC cable all the time.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In my opinion tie wire is a more secure support than many of the commercially available spring type clamps.

kbsparky

Its very common when running EMT through bar-joists to use tie wires to secure it to the structure.

What is your application in this instance?

iwire

Staff member
I had to do some demo at a job that the original installers used doubled up tie wire to secure the MC cables to the structure.

They did a very neat job and secured the cables well more than required. What a pain to demo, you had to use dykes at every support, there was no way you could rip it down like you could if they had used any of the Caddy / B-Line supports or tie wraps.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I use tie wire all the time for EMT and MC. It is efficient, cost effective, and does a good job.
What could be better? Maybe if it came in some fashionable colours that match my company's logo.

Same here and have never had an inspector have a problem with it. On one job I did have an engineer require us to use stainless steel though, he just wanted us to spend more money.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I would want to see the UL listing on the tie wire.110.3(B)
Show me a listing for the purpose on a one hole EMT strap or a blank plate, they may be out there but I haven't seen it.

Roger

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I had to jump in here. This is a "pet" argument of mine. I believe in my electrical work looking neat where you can see it. Concealed in walls, I prefer economical and practical. I don't want sharp offsets, for example. Why "waste" an offset in the wall behind the sheetrock? I get irritated when the guys want to use a $2 Caddy bracket to secure conduits in the wall when a punch, tie wire and a 2 foot piece of scrap EMT will serve every bit as well! When we have discussed this in the shop, even the 2 owners hedge their bets. There is a lot of discussion about shoddy work. As others pointed out here, this method is very secure.

renosteinke

Using tie wire to secure EMT against metal studs is the most common method used. I'm talking about the 'light steel' framing,' where any movement of the wall will result in an audible 'rattle' from the EMT within.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I have no problems with EC's using tie wire. I would actually prefer it sometimes to the sharp bends they try to make with MC and a one hole strap.

TOOL_5150

I had to do some demo at a job that the original installers used doubled up tie wire to secure the MC cables to the structure.

They did a very neat job and secured the cables well more than required. What a pain to demo, you had to use dykes at every support, there was no way you could rip it down like you could if they had used any of the Caddy / B-Line supports or tie wraps.

Exactly. To me, that seems like tie wire is a much better support than a strap.

coffeebean

It just goes against what I've been reading on this forum for the last three years.Neat and workman like manner,code compliant,etc. I would like to see you use your tie wire here in NJ and see if if it passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.