Small Appliance Circuit Exceptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duncan8943

I have five small appliance circuits in this kitchen that I am wiring. Correct me if I am wrong, but the way I interpret the code is that I can tie the gas stove into a SA circuit, but not the exhaust fan over the stove. One would think that due to the low energy consumption of the exhaust fan that it would be an exception as well. Am I misinterpreting something here? As it stands, I am planning on putting the exhaust fan on the dining room circuit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The dining room is required to be on a SABC just like the kitchen. Yes the gas stove can go on the SABC but the range hood cannot. Something else to think about if it has a cord and plug connection:

422.16(B)(4) Range Hoods. Range hoods shall be permitted to be
cord-and-plug-connected with a flexible cord identified as
suitable for use on range hoods in the installation instruc-
tions of the appliance manufacturer, where all of the fol-
lowing conditions are met:
(1) The flexible cord is terminated with a grounding-type
attachment plug.
Exception: A listed range hood distinctly marked to iden-
tify it as protected by a system of double insulation, or its
equivalent, shall not be required to be terminated with a
grounding-type attachment plug.
(2) The length of the cord is not less than 450 mm (18 in.)
and not over 900 mm (36 in.).
(3) Receptacles are located to avoid physical damage to the
flexible cord.
(4) The receptacle is accessible.
(5) The receptacle is supplied by an individual branch
circuit.

Last edited:

crtemp

I always thought that a gas range 120v receptacle could not be part of the SABC. Where does it permit this in the NEC?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
You can connect the exhaust with the fridge circuit. Or install a dedicated circuit for the exhaust fan just in case they change it to an over the stove microwave/hood combo.

Duncan8943

Exceptions could be improved

Exceptions could be improved

I think that they should change the exceptions to where they actually call out a size of a load that you can have on a SAC. You would also think that if you are well above the 2 required circuits in the kitchen/dining room area, that you could tie the kitchen lighting to this as well.

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

i disagree with a fridge being on sabc. i don't want my fridge protected by a gfci ( no need to lose food unnessarily) or (unless it is somewhere w/in 6 feet of a sink) i genarally run a seperate ckt for the fridge. it's not a "portable appliance" you cant move it around your counter top like a toaster, coffee pot, blender etc. it is permissable by exception 2 to supply the fridge as previously stated, not required

Last edited:

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
i disagree with a fridge being on sabc. i don't my fridge protected by a gfci (unless it is somewhere w/in 6 feet of a sink) i genarally run a seperate ckt for the fridge. it's not a "portable appliance" you cant move it around your counter top like a toaster, coffee pot, blender etc. it is permissable by exception 2 to supply the fridge as previously stated, not required

According to 210.52 the fridge is part of the SABC. it doesnt have to be included in the minimum 2 circuits. but a dedicated circuit for teh fridge will bring your total SABC to 3 circuits.

renosteinke

I thought the NEC said a fridge COULD be on an SABC - I didn't think it said it HAD to be on one.

Now ... wild-eyed opinion time :D :

1) Wouldn't it be reasonable to tie the range igniter receptacle in with the hood, or hood/micro, circuit? After all, the two are likely to be mounted in the same stud bay. Yet, code does not encourage this, even forbids it if the hood has a cord & plug;

2) I don't think you're allowed to tie under-cabinet lights into an SABC. Perhaps that circuit can also power the hood. Complication: Many such lights are low voltage;

3) I don't think you can have the disposal / dishwasher on an SABC. So- when is a 20-A circuit in a kitchen not an SABC? Can we power the hood from that circuit?;

4) I see a role for plugmold with an integral GFCI;

5) One can power the hood from a lighting circuit: and,

6) Ironic that you can power a clock receptacle from an SABC but not a hood.

Rick Christopherson

I have five small appliance circuits in this kitchen that I am wiring. Correct me if I am wrong, but the way I interpret the code is that I can tie the gas stove into a SA circuit, but not the exhaust fan over the stove.
2008: 210.52.B.2 said:
Exception No. 2: Receptacles installed to provide power for supplemental equipment and lighting on gas-fired ranges, ovens, or counter-mounted cooking units.
Maybe it's just a fishing expedition, but I would consider the range hood to be supplemental equipment (and lighting) for the range.

Rick Christopherson

i sit in correction 210.52(B) (1) does indeed say specifically refridgeration equipment
Except that exception 2 states that it is not required to be on the SABC. So if it is not serving other SABC receptacles, then it is available for other tasks. (BTW, It says "individual" not "dedicated".)

Exception No. 2: The receptacle outlet for refrigeration equipment shall be permitted to be supplied from an individual branch circuit rated 15 amperes or greater.

Status
Not open for further replies.