Which article to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelhead

Occupation
Industrial Maint/Journeyman
When I run a circuit for a dishwasher I usually just run a dedicated 15A circuit. I don't know why I suddenly questioned why I do this but...which article would you reference for a DW install? Is itconsidered an appliance - article 422? Or article 430 because it has a motor?

John120/240

For what it is worth: Here a standard DW/Disposal installation would be a 12-2 home run to a recptacle. top half is switched for the

disposal, bottom half is constant hot for the DW. Both appliances are connected with standard 3ft & 6ft cords.

hurk27

When I run a circuit for a dishwasher I usually just run a dedicated 15A circuit. I don't know why I suddenly questioned why I do this but...which article would you reference for a DW install? Is it considered an appliance - article 422? Or article 430 because it has a motor?

210.20 thru 210.23 would be a good start;)

Technically it can be a sticky point as we are only allowed to use 50% of a circuit when the circuit feeds two or more receptacle outlets and or other fixed in place appliances, and a dishwasher alone can be over this as well as a large disposal, but I have for years done just like post 2 by placing a duplex under the sink with a 20 amp circuit, splitting the receptacles by breaking the tab and switching one for the disposal and leaving the other hot receptacle to feed the DW, never had a problem.

The problem is the definition of a fixed in place appliance, is this a disposal or dishwasher? both are readily removable

Last edited:

handy10

The problem is the definition of a fixed in place appliance, is this a disposal or dishwasher? both are readily removable

It seems to me that fix in place does not mean that the device cannot be removed. I believe that a device is fixed in place if it is not ordinarily movable. If a fixed in place appliance cannot be removed, repair/replacement would be impossible.

kwired

Electron manager
It is a motor operated appliance, and 422 is where to start, but it may refer you to sections in 430.

I would like to see an appliance that can "not" be removed. If they can take down large buildings with machines, explosives, etc. they can remove appliances.:happyyes:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
It seems to me that fix in place does not mean that the device cannot be removed. I believe that a device is fixed in place if it is not ordinarily movable. If a fixed in place appliance cannot be removed, repair/replacement would be impossible.

250.110 and 112 define fixed as: Equipment fastened in place or connected by permanent wiring methods.

550.2 defines fixed appliances as an appliance that is fastened or otherwise secured at a specific location.

The FPN states, in part, that dishwashers that are not built in and have no booster heaters, are considered portable if cord connected.

What is a booster heater, and how do you know if the dishwasher that is going to be connected will have one or not?

I think they are talking about the kind that connects to the kitchen faucet. Your basic under counter type would be considered built in.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

The FPN states, in part, that dishwashers that are not built in and have no booster heaters, are considered portable if cord connected.

What is a booster heater, and how do you know if the dishwasher that is going to be connected will have one or not?

I think they are talking about the kind that connects to the kitchen faucet. Your basic under counter type would be considered built in.

A booster heater is a heating element designed for optional use to heat the water for at least one part of the cycle to a higher temperature than that supplied by the hot water supply. You can usually identify it by seeing a calrod type heating element near the bottom of the inside. Controls will say "Hight Temp Rinse" or Sani-Temp (TM)" or something of that sort. How you tell the difference between a booster heater for the water and a heating element just for the dry cycle is another question. Maybe it is a booster heater in either case.
The "not built in" part does look like one of the roll-around models that hose connect to the faucet.

Steelhead

Occupation
Industrial Maint/Journeyman
For what it is worth: Here a standard DW/Disposal installation would be a 12-2 home run to a recptacle. top half is switched for the

disposal, bottom half is constant hot for the DW. Both appliances are connected with standard 3ft & 6ft cords.

A lot of DW around here are connected with a length of Romex sticking out of a hole in the wall. The DW is controlled by a switch on the wall next to the sink. What do you think about that type of installation? I think it would be and look more professional if the DW was connected with a short whip connected to a Jbox in the wall instead of the Romex version.

handy10

Puzzled about 210.52(B)(1) and 210.52(B)(3)

Puzzled about 210.52(B)(1) and 210.52(B)(3)

Does 210.52(B)(1) require every wall receptacle be part of a SABC while the statement in 210.52(B)(3) permit an SABC to supply receptacles? ("Additional SABCs shall be permitted to supply receptacle outlets in kitchen...") In other words, can wall outlets in the kitchen be supplied by general purpose circuits?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Does 210.52(B)(1) require every wall receptacle be part of a SABC while the statement in 210.52(B)(3) permit an SABC to supply receptacles? ("Additional SABCs shall be permitted to supply receptacle outlets in kitchen...") In other words, can wall outlets in the kitchen be supplied by general purpose circuits?

The wall receptacles in a kitchen are required to be fed from a SABC unless it meets exception #2:

210.52(B) Small Appliances.
(1) Receptacle Outlets Served. In the kitchen, pantry,
breakfast room, dining room, or similar area of a dwelling
unit, the two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch
circuits required by 210.11(C)(1) shall serve all wall and
floor receptacle outlets covered by 210.52(A), all counter-
top outlets covered by 210.52(C), and receptacle outlets for
refrigeration equipment.
Exception No. 1: In addition to the required receptacles
specified by 210.52, switched receptacles supplied from a
general-purpose branch circuit as defined in 210.70(A)(1),
Exception No. 1, shall be permitted.
Exception No. 2:
The receptacle outlet for refrigeration
equipment shall be permitted to be supplied from an indi-
vidual branch circuit rated 15 amperes or greater.

hurk27

The wall space receptacles that are required to be part of the SABC are not wall receptacles installed in cabinets that serve appliances, these are the receptacles required by 210.52(A) that are require to meet the 6 foot/12 foot requirements in areas of open wall space where there are no counters or cabinets or appliances.

kwired

Electron manager
I usually put both DW and Disp on single 20 amp circuit. Never have had a call back because of overloading.

I believe 210.23(A)(2) allows for this also.

(2) Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place. The total
rating of utilization equipment fastened in place, other than
luminaires, shall not exceed 50 percent of the branchcircuit
ampere rating where lighting units, cord-and-plugconnected
utilization equipment not fastened in place, or
both, are also supplied.

Just keep lighting and other not fastened in place utilization equipment off the same circuit and you are compliant. Most DW and disp are less than 10 amps, if so you could have lighting or other not fastened in place equipment and are still compliant anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.