creating a neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I have a client who just purchased a single phase UPS system but did not realize the UPS unit does not have a 120V output. The output range is 200-240V single phase.
My question: is it possible to install a transformer and that will give a grounded point? so we we can 120V output. Or it is best to have the client return the unit and purchase a UPS with a 120V output?

Thanks.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Hilbilly,

so the UPS will see the transformer as load. Correct?

Similar to another thread that i had about the Buck&boost transformer on an inverter.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
......best to have the client return the unit and purchase a UPS with a 120V output?
By the time you add costs associated with adding a transformer, plus the continuing cost of the mentioned losses, the client is better off returning the UPS unit for the right one, even having to pay any restocking fee. –JMO–

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Yes, many larger UPS units have 480 volt inputs with a transformer stepping the output down to 120/208. How big is the UPS?

Did not check the size. but i am guessing 6-8 KW

I am assuming the ones that do come with a 120V output have a regular transformer and have been designed to minimize the losses for the built in transformers.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Did not check the size. but i am guessing 6-8 KW

I am assuming the ones that do come with a 120V output have a regular transformer and have been designed to minimize the losses for the built in transformers.
Transformerless models are available.

brian john

In addition it is likely the transformer inrush will exceed the UPS maximum instantantaneous current rating, the best way recommended by some manufactures is to start the UPS in bypass mode with the transformer connected. In lieu of starting the UPS, getting the UPS into normal operation then closing the transformer CB.

JoeStillman

One more nail in the coffin of that transformer; you would be introducing a potential point of failure between the UPS and the load. The less components the better, I always say.

Status
Not open for further replies.