Extension Cord or NOT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: A overhead crane installation consists of an electric hoist by one manufacturer and a rail system by another manufacturer. An inspector cited the rail system flexible cord was being used as an extension cord for the hoist motor. Is this a code violation?

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
Question: A overhead crane installation consists of an electric hoist by one manufacturer and a rail system by another manufacturer. An inspector cited the rail system flexible cord was being used as an extension cord for the hoist motor. Is this a code violation?

Sounds like a crane festoon system unless something was really jury-rigged. Got a pic?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
See NEC 400.7(A)(5). Flexible cords are permitted for wiring of cranes and hoists.

But is there a difference between a flexible cord run directly from the hoist motor to a power source and a flexible cord run from the hoist motor to an outlet on the crane carriage which is furnished by the other vendor and supplied through its flexible cord? I can see an inspector getting hung up on that issue, although my answer would be that both are OK.

jeremysterling

But is there a difference between a flexible cord run directly from the hoist motor to a power source and a flexible cord run from the hoist motor to an outlet on the crane carriage which is furnished by the other vendor and supplied through its flexible cord? I can see an inspector getting hung up on that issue, although my answer would be that both are OK.

"Outlet on the crane carriage?" Let me guess. You leave an operator up on the bridge and holler at him to, "Plug the hoist into the DOWN outlet... NOOO, UP OUTLET, UP OUTLET!"

I'd start with this: Are both the crane and rail system listed? Have they been installed and are being used per instructions (and listing)? If everything is being used in a manner consistent with listing/design, I'm not sure the AHJ has much of a leg to stand on.

(I mean, if the crane is designed to move and comes with a factory-installed 1' power cable, then pretty much by design it can't connect to a fixed receptacle....)

Status
Not open for further replies.