PVC duct capping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJWalecka

what do others use to cap four inch and five inch PVC duct bank, besides duct tape and the manufactured PVC caps.

I read about 2 liter coke caps on 3/4 threads for connectors and ridgid stubs. But I'm wondering about larger pipe.
PVC caps and duct tape work great... what other options are out there

Feedback is appreciate

Article 90.1

Short term or long term?

I suppose you could use a plug like the plumbers use for their pressure tests, but it could get expensive pretty fast if there are a lot of ducts.

Pennies/bushings if you have threaded ends.

If you have bell ends glued on I think Duct tape is going to be about your best bet.

How about putting a piece of something solid in the pipe like threaded rod, then shooting some expanding foam in? When you need to use the duct just putt out the all thread and foam and you are good to go.

plumb bob

We have "plugs" that I think we get from greenlee to put in big pipe when we are heating them up to bend They are supposed to help keep the warm air inside ( I think :ashamed1:) Not the ones to prevent kinking, much lighter duty. They are stepped and just push in / pull out. Probably would work in the trench to keep out dirt.

edit- just saw DavidA's post, think we're talking about the same thing

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
what do others use to cap four inch and five inch PVC duct bank, besides duct tape and the manufactured PVC caps.

I read about 2 liter coke caps on 3/4 threads for connectors and ridgid stubs. But I'm wondering about larger pipe.
PVC caps and duct tape work great... what other options are out there

Feedback is appreciate

a coupling glued on the end, with a bunch of duct tape applied radially across the end,
and a turn around the diameter to hold it... it's good indefinitely with a half dozen pieces,
and can be slit off with a razor knife easily to continue....

if it needs bulletproofing, i use a pvc pipe cap, unglued, with a couple turns of duct
tape to hold it... if i need to leave a rope in there, i drill it for a 1/4" eyebolt, take 10' of extra
mule tape, stuff it in the pipe, and seal it up. then i stick a piece of the same diameter pipe
on the end, pointing straight up, with the bottom even with the bottom of
the pipe... mark on it what it's for, and when i need to find it a year later, i can stick a tape
measure down the riser, and see where the end of the pipe is at, exactly.

masterinbama

wrap your first few turns of duct tape sticky side out then the other way. A simple slit with a razor knife and it comes off clean.

I also do this when wrapping split bolts with tape on motor connections.

Home Depot plumbing department carries cheap plastic temporary plugs from 2" to 4". They usually press fit in but if not tight a strip of tape or paper is usually enough shim to ensure a snug fit. If you need string a hole and figure 8 knot is quick and easy... although I've been known to use the string as my shim on occasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.