Keeping Track of Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan55

Just looking for thoughts on what other contractors do as far as keeping track of tools. Where they are , who has them etc. I am looking to implement a system just wanting some input.

kwired

Electron manager
A simple starting point is for supervisors to be telling the workers to not leave a tool in some place where it will not be easily found.

Even when they were not my tools, I got tired of finding left behind tools in some remote nook and cranny - especially if up high somewere or maybe in a crawlspace. I would much rather they leave a tool in on the floor in a place it will be seen - at least it will get picked up when the job is finished instead of left in an unseen location. Not only would I have to tell the boss we needed a new tool, but we would be at another job when we found out it was missing and wouldn't have it when it was needed.

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

inventory the tools at the start of a project, what it is, what number it is, condition. then monthly. it's a pain in the butt, however, if you don't do it, you never know whats going on. make you're "second right hand man" in charge of this. it shows whether they have the responsibility to take on more responsibility. the field foreman has enough to do. as fas as that goes, i tell the guys to treat them like they were buying them, and if i find or see guys abusing tools, they will be buying them. i worked with a guy that liked to use a metal drill box for a step stool. his rational was " it's a company tool , i don't care". when the super "spotted" this, he got his butt kicked verbally, and docked for crushing the drill box. problem solved.

as far as personal tools, thats the persons own responsibility. provide a list of what they need, they need to be available every day, in good working order.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
One of the larger contractors uses labels and bar codes. I don't know where they get them, but every tool big enough for a bar code label has one. They probably use a hand held scanner and go through the gang boxes as they come and go from the sites. One nice thing about that system is that the foreman can call the office and find out where a specialty tool is if he needs it.

iwire

Staff member
We do the bar-code thing, but the company has a ton of tools.

Just assigning the tools to a foreman with paperwork making him responsible for the tools would work well.

renosteinke

One word: Ownership.

As used by both an HVAC firm and a Plumbing contractor I know, the system works this way:

A certain percentage of each job is earmarked for tools. This money is part of the budget for the truck. The guy who is issued the truck is free to spend it as he wishes on tools. After an expected lifespan - say, 2 years for a power tool - it's his, period. He can take it home. No further accounting is needed. Until then, the tool 'belongs to the truck.'

I've seen this in action on several jobs. I seem to be something of a trendsetter, and several times guys have bought tools after using mine, and seeing the advantage. Naturally, I've kept my eyes open to see what works for them, as well.

FWIW, here are the tools that have stood out:
5-ft. step ladder
7-ft. step ladder
Combination ladder
Cordless Saws-it-all
Band saw
2-ft. mechanics' ladder (as a workstand)
Impact drivers, small and large
Milwaukee Hacksall
the tiny Milwaukee cordless bandsaw

John120/240

The 5ft & 7ft stepladder are both oddball bastard IMHO. Why not just stick to 4ft, 6ft, 8ft, & 10 ft stepladders. They work just

fine for me. A real handy tool is the powder actuated tool Hilti or Ramset. Get one that takes multiple shots.

stevebea

Just looking for thoughts on what other contractors do as far as keeping track of tools. Where they are , who has them etc. I am looking to implement a system just wanting some input.

We use toolwatch.com. Every mechanic has a toolwatch number and tools are scanned out to the mechanic and he is personally responsible for them.

WorkSafe

They are pretty strict with tool control here because we deal with aircraft and jet engines. Individual special tools are signed out to a employee and tracked via a computer program. The tool boxes are assigned to the employee and each tool in the box has its place cut out in foam. If a wrench is missing it will be readily noticed. No personal tools are permitted. Employees are required to do a tool accountability inspection when the job is done to ensure no tools are missing. Supervisors have to conduct a inspection of the employees toolbox every 60 days I believe as well.

PetrosA

The 5ft & 7ft stepladder are both oddball bastard IMHO. Why not just stick to 4ft, 6ft, 8ft, & 10 ft stepladders. They work just

fine for me. A real handy tool is the powder actuated tool Hilti or Ramset. Get one that takes multiple shots.

In resi, the 7' ladder especially is a lot handier to carry through a house without banging up walls, ceilings and doors and that's what I carry on my truck. A 5' will also get you to a lot of the stuff a 6' will with less hassle.

brian john

If you figure it out let me know.

Generally thinks like basic test equipment meggers, ductors, amp clamps, multimeters and all basic electric power tools everyone has one. But more expensive tools hy-press, battery cable cutters, the smaller high current test sets, Disturbance analyzers, we do the old FREAK OUT at the last minute calling every JW looking for the tool or equipment.

twoelk

Our shop basically runs their own rental business. When you start a job, you get your tools from the shop, for a cost. At the end of the job, you return your tools and equipment you get a credit, although not 100%. If the tool is not returned, your job eats 50% of the replacement cost. It does kinda suck because if you take the exact same tools from job to job, you pay every time. I usually end up eating the replacement cost on a job where we did well. Then any jobs after that, I don't have to pay any rental fee, but I still get to charge the customer for the tools. In turn, I make a bigger profit on future jobs.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Never worked anywhere that we had to check out tools, but some times it could come in handy. Like the time my boss couldn't find the Sawzall and started chewing on me about not putting the tools back when I was done, that was until I reminded him that he had used the Sawzall last. He then chewed me about not walking the job better at the end of the day.:happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.