Bedroom Hallway/Foyer Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbendillo

I am involved in a project with many bedroom configurations for apartments. At some of the entrances to bedrooms there is basically a foyer/hallway 3'-6" wide of varying lengths leading in to the main bedroom areas and open into the bedroom. There are sometimes doors in the "hallway" to bathrooms and/or closets which chop it up leaving a number of 24" or wide wall areas. Is this area all considered to be part of the bedroom requiring receptacles according to the 210-52 requirements. Do we need to put receptacles on both sides of this "hallway" on every wall space?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I would apply the "hallway" rule of 210.52(H), and just put one receptacle somewhere along one of the walls.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
While I would hope your electrical inspection department agrees with Charlie and hbendl, the safe bet would be to ask them. Better safe than sorry.

hbendillo

for hallways 10' or more in length at least one receptacle shall be provided 210.52(h) put in one and youre done

That would seem the practical application if what I am describing is considered a hallway. My problem is that since this passage way is open to the bedroom it could be considered as part of the bedroom. A hallway as I have seen described seems to be considered a public or common passage way with doors leading to bedrooms, toilets, etc. or open to common or public areas. Practically the hallway rule works but technically is it really applicable here?

bobbymari

That would seem the practical application if what I am describing is considered a hallway. My problem is that since this passage way is open to the bedroom it could be considered as part of the bedroom. A hallway as I have seen described seems to be considered a public or common passage way with doors leading to bedrooms, toilets, etc. or open to common or public areas. Practically the hallway rule works but technically is it really applicable here?

oh ok I think I can picture what youre describing, yea still seems like hallway rule is applicable but as mentioned above a quick check with inspector would give u your best answer. Especially since so much of the code can be interperated in different ways. Sounds like a hallway looks like a hallway, inspector says its part of the bedroom go figure

hbendillo

oh ok I think I can picture what youre describing, yea still seems like hallway rule is applicable but as mentioned above a quick check with inspector would give u your best answer. Especially since so much of the code can be interperated in different ways. Sounds like a hallway looks like a hallway, inspector says its part of the bedroom go figure

This project is in the design phase so it is currently not in dispute for this project. But there are about 100 or so apartments in this high rise building so don't want to duplicate the wrong thing on a lot of apartments. Guess this is one to submit to the inspector before construction.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Or let the plan checker figure it out. I would say it's not a hallway and I would not require a receptacle, but I would suggest one if I was the designer.

Status
Not open for further replies.