Per strand or Romex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benton

Hey guys,

What is the difference in running, lets say, three strands of number one opposed to Romex 3 conductor of the same size? It doesn't seem that the sheath makes that big of a difference. Attic space then stub down.

G._S._Ohm

As long as the
end connector contact resistance is << conductor resistance
or
end connector contact resistance is >> conductor resistance,
none,
as far as the physics go.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The NM is a listed cable assembly and can be installed without using conduit. The single conductors must have additional protection, most often in the form of a raceway.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Two issues one is if the stub down is going to an exterior panel then the wire may not be NM cable. As Don stated individual wires must be piped the entire length. I have piped some furnace in attics and crawl spaces with individual conductors simply because the wire sizes I needed were to hard to find in NM and I would have to use 60C rating for nm instead of 75C in conduit

lavacano

Chadwick Ferguson, Safe and Sound Electric
Occupation
02 master
for things other than generators, hot tube, steam generators and other specialty applications I always use SER for ckts/feeders 40a or over, the aluminum commodity hasn't flipped more expensive than copper for a while.

Individual wires are not rated for exposed runs. They have to be protected by a conduit, jacket, or raceway.
This answer is intended to apply to Romex? Brand NM Cable. For other NM cables, please check with those respective brand suppliers or cable manufacturers. Romex? is a Registered Trademark of Southwire Company. This communication is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute advice. As all the facts and circumstances in any given situation may not be apparent, this communication is not intended to be, and should not be, relied upon by the reader in making decisions with respect to the issues discussed herein, and the reader assumes the risk if he or she chooses to do so. The reader is encouraged to consult an expert before making any decisions or taking any action concerning the matters in this communication. All warranties, express or implied, including warranties regarding accuracy, adequacy, completeness, legality, reliability, safety or usefulness of any information, ARE DISCLAIMED. Southwire Company is not liable for any damages however caused and on any theory of liability arising in any way out of the information provided or the reader's use of it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Individual wires are not rated for exposed runs. They have to be protected by a conduit, jacket, or raceway.
This answer is intended to apply to Romex? Brand NM Cable. For other NM cables, please check with those respective brand suppliers or cable manufacturers. Romex? is a Registered Trademark of Southwire Company. This communication is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute advice. As all the facts and circumstances in any given situation may not be apparent, this communication is not intended to be, and should not be, relied upon by the reader in making decisions with respect to the issues discussed herein, and the reader assumes the risk if he or she chooses to do so. The reader is encouraged to consult an expert before making any decisions or taking any action concerning the matters in this communication. All warranties, express or implied, including warranties regarding accuracy, adequacy, completeness, legality, reliability, safety or usefulness of any information, ARE DISCLAIMED. Southwire Company is not liable for any damages however caused and on any theory of liability arising in any way out of the information provided or the reader's use of it.

Why don't you all mark the wire in the NM as all wires are generally marked and it would solve alot of issues.

jes25

Hey guys,

What is the difference in running, lets say, three strands of number one opposed to Romex 3 conductor of the same size? It doesn't seem that the sheath makes that big of a difference. Attic space then stub down.

Could you explain more? At first I thought you meant removing three strands from a #1 AWG conductor compared three strands in a romex cable.

After I read the replies, I think you want to run open #14 THHN in the attic. That would be bad

220/221

Hey guys,

What is the difference in running, lets say, three strands of number one opposed to Romex 3 conductor of the same size?

Uhhhh....one is in conduit?

Cost difference?

Degree of difficulty?

Availability?

Legality?

Communication sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.