Make Your Own Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfman56

I know that there are a lot of contractors here that are willing to hire a web service. They believe in the concept "you have to spend money to make money". It works for those that have enough cash to do it right, but most small shops don't have that kind of money and settle for an economy site builder that really doesn't do anything the contractor can do himself. And with only marginal results.

Most web builder companies just download a Wordpress template and then customize it for the customer. That is why so many "custom" sites seem similar in appearance. There is really nothing custom about it.

I've always been a one or two man shop, so for every expense I equate to how many hours must I work to pay for this? and is it worth it. I took the time, and spent the money to buy a book, and some software, then made my own site. I pull in an amazing amount of work from the site, and yes I get first page in Google. I can make changes or upgrade my site easily and for free. Last year my site expenses were less than $100, and such a small amount of time it's negligible.

For those willing to do it themselves I recommend you go and get a book on getting first page in Google. Then have a look at www.webstudio.com. They have software for less than $200 and is great for those who are newbies with web building. You can start with a template to begin with. Then when you know the software quite well, make yourself a custom site.

I started with WebStudio, however later I bought Microsoft Expressions Suite and made the site I have today. www.bree-electric.com. If you click on the service area link, or a few zip codes you will see how I can get first page in other communities besides mine. I shudder to imagine what a web service would have charged for this site.

Hope these tips helps those of you who are not large enough to pay big money for a website.

RW

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Good looking website. It looks like you put a lot of time and effort into it. You seem to be a very creative person. Aside from the appearance did you do all or most of the descriptive content ? I was looking for a website program or designer that was more industry specific for a basic design. Are there any that you came across that would fit that bill ?

Good luck. Hope this works out for you.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I pulled a template I liked off a free template provider. I have found that for Mac OS, Cyberduck is a good FTP program and Coda is $75 and works, unlike all the free HTML editors I've used. I was too cheap to buy a book, so when I try to do something different I google it and usually turn up results.

Great website for starting from scratch!

wolfman56

Aside from the appearance did you do all or most of the descriptive content ?

I don't know of any industry specific templates.

What I did was to look at electrician's websites from cities all over the US. I used ideas from many of them. LA is a very competitive area, most of the ideas on layout and architecture were from there.
I did all the descriptive content but used the content from other websites to get a feeling of what sounds and looks good.

My son and I did all the artwork including making the logo, and TV screen. The picture at the top and bottom was my son's idea. Its a picture of the ceiling, with the sun shining in making it brighter on one end.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.