Generator warning decals

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm running into this situation more and more lately in townships where I'm installing Generac generators. Many electrical inspectors are refusing to accept the Generac generator warning cards like these, claiming that they look too much like a manufacturer's name plate rating label :

http://www.pceca.net/images/stories/generator warning decals.pdf

However, they are accepting labels like the ones shown on this website :

http://www.nys-spc.com/inc/sdetail/663/1416

Now, NEC 700.7(B) states exactly what the Generac labels indicate. While I think attention may be brought to a RED & white label as opposed to a BLACK and white one there is no NEC reference as to the color of the label or whether it should be printed in languages other than English. Is anyone else running into this or is it just a New Jersey thing.:rant:

John120/240

Yes the red & white ones do grab your attention more than the black & white ones. Unless this color thing is in writing I think you

should be compliant. Tell the inspector to put his shirt pocket rules back in his pocket.

kwired

Electron manager
Does anyone besides the electrician read either label? And if they do, do they understand what any of it means or follow any directions stated?

kwired

Electron manager
If I am the owner/operator of said equipment, what is my logic behind wanting to remove the grounding electrode or the bonding jumper while running on alternate source. What is my logic for wanting to remove either at any time? If I am installing, repairing, maintaining equipment, that is a different scenario, and hopefully I am qualified to do whatever it is I am doing, otherwise that warning information doesn't come close to all the potential hazards I should be aware of.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
There is an ANSI standard for the wording and color of lables, its referenced in 110.16:
Danger Red
Caution Yellow
Danger or caution is used depending on the hazard.
The 2014 NEC has an accepted proposal to unify and use the ANSI standard language in all the locations where signage is required.

Those (generac) are mfg signs but they mimic information required in the NEC on the bonding of generators. However the NEC does not yet call out colors or verbage.

jwelectric

I am not sure but I think you are required to use pink and purple at Pearl?s Palace.

Once these two colors have been installed it will be called Pearl?s pink and purple palace of passion.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If I am the owner/operator of said equipment, what is my logic behind wanting to remove the grounding electrode or the bonding jumper while running on alternate source. What is my logic for wanting to remove either at any time? If I am installing, repairing, maintaining equipment, that is a different scenario, and hopefully I am qualified to do whatever it is I am doing, otherwise that warning information doesn't come close to all the potential hazards I should be aware of.
Well said. I've wondered the same thing myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.