twin breakers in new panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done over a 1000 panel/ servive changes in vegas and an inspector has never let me intall twin or quad breakers if there were 27 handles in a 24 space panel (3 twins ..21 single poles...) i would have to install a 32 space panel if it was a new panel on new building residential or commercial no twins can u tell me what article of necessary applied to this?

kwired

Electron manager
I have done over a 1000 panel/ servive changes in vegas and an inspector has never let me intall twin or quad breakers if there were 27 handles in a 24 space panel (3 twins ..21 single poles...) i would have to install a 32 space panel if it was a new panel on new building residential or commercial no twins can u tell me what article of necessary applied to this?

It is not in code other than 110.3(B) says "Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling."

What does the panel label say is allowed to be installed?

If it is of a type that is designed to accept twin breakers it will say exactly which spaces are allowed to accept them. Some will accept limited number of them, some none at all, some will accept them in every slot.

Most have rejection features that will not allow them to plug into slots not designed for them anyway.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

It's almost certain that the inspector is not applying the NEC. As mentioned panelboards listed for twin or slim breakers can use them.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The only thing bad about a twin circuit panel is the size. I generally go for the straight 40 cir. panels because I hate the mess that there is with a 20-40 panel loaded op. It becomes a rats nest, IMO. Twin breakers are just as safe as regular breakers. In fact I am not sure I every replaced a twin breaker due to failure.

citations

citations

It is not in code other than 110.3(B) says "Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling."

What does the panel label say is allowed to be installed?

If it is of a type that is designed to accept twin breakers it will say exactly which spaces are allowed to accept them. Some will accept limited number of them, some none at all, some will accept them in every slot.

Most have rejection features that will not allow them to plug into slots not designed for them anyway.
its a 20/40 200 a.p pane for new.
l I've got 4 2 pole beakers and 9 15 or 20 amp circuits tat are on.
5 twins with1 spare. u know how frustrating it is to have ckts 1 and 3 in breaker 1. ...... there iz no concept of it is cheaper to buy 9 single poles then 5 twins becuse they won't take time to take them back its also frustrating to balance a panel when 2 circuits are on Same phase with loads when ckts. a 1 2 or 3 bedroombsd5, 6 7 are varying from trailer to trailer if i had single poles 1 could 15 a

pretty much. good

cUse a 1. ed has more

n3. space should be on breaker 3 I've had an inzpector tell me thode m

j:yyectors tell me that befoge. it its. den least 8 years since i can rememvvm

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The only thing bad about a twin circuit panel is the size. I generally go for the straight 40 cir. panels because I hate the mess that there is with a 20-40 panel loaded op. It becomes a rats nest, IMO. Twin breakers are just as safe as regular breakers. In fact I am not sure I every replaced a twin breaker due to failure.

I don't see that as an issue if the installer is any good. Besides the 20/40 panels have a much smaller form factor for tight spots. :)

20121101_103917.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't see that as an issue if the installer is any good. Besides the 20/40 panels have a much smaller form factor for tight spots. :)

Yeah but that has only 28 circuits not 40 but I agree. I guess I see the old panels that were half that size. Not sure I have used a new one with twins.

kwired

Electron manager

Sometimes the problem is they put the same neutral assembly in the panel as they do for 20 circuit panel, then you may start to run out of neutral terminals if you have 40 circuits - especially if it is also the service panel and you are landing EGC's on same bus.

I don't think much if anything is saved by using twins, and definitely is not with the Quads (two double poles in same unit)
With AFCI protection requirements these days, people that were depending on using twins need to change their ways, but then again, with wall box type AFCI's supposedly coming around -that may change again.

I think you see twins a lot in mobile and manufactured homes for a couple reasons. First they need to pay attention to weight as this home has to be moved down the road at some time. They also probably buy them in bulk quantities and get better pricing than many other people do.

JDB3

Went on a call about breaker tripping. All GE half size breakers. Just touched some breakers with panel cover still on. Two more breakers tripped. The little bit of heat from my hand was all it took.

kwired

Electron manager
Went on a call about breaker tripping. All GE half size breakers. Just touched some breakers with panel cover still on. Two more breakers tripped. The little bit of heat from my hand was all it took.

you really think it was heat from your fingers? If breaker has been loaded a long time and is near trip point, chances are your finger takes heat away from the breaker instead of adding it, it more likely tripped because it was floating right about trip point and you introduced just enough mechanical vibration, mechanical shock, etc, to make it trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.