NFPA 70e

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been discussion at work that we will need to conform to arc flash boundaries and PPE when changing fluorescent lamps with a ballast voltage of 277. Does anyone have any interest in discussing this because I am blown away with the fact that you will need to be geared up in an arc flash suit to change a lamp! I'm not making this crap up. Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Sounds crazy to me but I don't have that info available to discuss it. Perhaps someone else can jump in

Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
You must always wear the PPE that is appropriate for the hazards to which you are exposed.
Relatively few branch circuit locations require an 'arc flash suit'. The vast majority of branch circuits can probably be handled by HRC1 outfits.

Jim, you bring up a good point (Branch Circuit) as opposed to Equipment every thing I have read in 70e refers to equipment, but when I look up the definition of equipment luminaires are included. I'm completely with you that proper PPE needs to be worn, but arc flash gear?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Jim, you bring up a good point (Branch Circuit) as opposed to Equipment every thing I have read in 70e refers to equipment, but when I look up the definition of equipment luminaires are included. I'm completely with you that proper PPE needs to be worn, but arc flash gear?
What do you mean by "arc flash gear"? As Jim said, you need PPE for the hazard at that point on the circuit. Few lighting branch circuits have enough available fault current to create an arc-flash hazard.
The lamp replacement may require nothing more than safety classes, gloves and non-melting clothing.

Drake5265

Yes Safety glasses and non melting clothing I think fits the PPE perspective best and non melting gloves would also go into that as well I suppose. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.