Plastic 4/0 boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Why arent the mounting holes threaded in most of the 4/0 and some of the 1g Plastic Boxes ?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
One less step the manufacturer has to take thus making the boxes even cheaper. Just a guess. :)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
One less step the manufacturer has to take thus making the boxes even cheaper. Just a guess. :)

What is the point of tapping the holes when the user is going to have self-tapping screws, right? You get a better fit that way and they can't accidentally cross thread them. :)

jap

Occupation
Electrician
That's my problem with them. The Standard 6/32 or 8/32 screws you would generally use (if too long)
will usually bind up an come to a stop.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That's my problem with them. The Standard 6/32 or 8/32 screws you would generally use (if too long)
will usually bind up an come to a stop.

Cut the screws with your pliers. I do that on the wp bell boxes when the screws are too long

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Sheetrock screws dont look too classy in the fixture canopy of a 4/0 plastic box though.

kwired

Electron manager
We won't be able to hang luminaires or other devices from outlet boxes with sheetrock screws but can still mount the outlet box with sheetrock screws??

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Its not so much the screw itself but the surface area of whatever it is screwing into that makes the
difference. That's the difference between mounting the box something and mounting something to the box.

kwired

Electron manager
Its not so much the screw itself but the surface area of whatever it is screwing into that makes the
difference. That's the difference between mounting the box something and mounting something to the box.

That is also conditional to each application.

Try fully sinking a typical drywall screw into solid oak without pre-drilling a hole.

The trick to the most effective installation is drilling the correct sized pilot hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.