230.3 Pass Through a Building or Structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

2 meters on the outside of a townhouse development. Both SEC's travel through the basement of one unit - one for the dwelling and the other going completely through to the neighboring dwelling. However, my "read" of 230.3 is that this is not correct. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Sounds OK to me. Here are the def's from the IRC which I'm sure are similarly worded in the NJ building code.

BUILDING. Building shall mean any one- and two-family dwelling or portion thereof, including townhouses, that is used, or designed or intended to be used for human habitation, for living, sleeping, cooking or eating purposes, or any combination thereof, and shall include accessory structures thereto.
STRUCTURE. That which is built or constructed.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In my opinion, you need service disconnects on the outside of that building to comply with 230.70(A)(1).

jumper

Sounds OK to me. Here are the def's from the IRC which I'm sure are similarly worded in the NJ building code.

BUILDING. Building shall mean any one- and two-family dwelling or portion thereof, including townhouses, that is used, or designed or intended to be used for human habitation, for living, sleeping, cooking or eating purposes, or any combination thereof, and shall include accessory structures thereto.
STRUCTURE. That which is built or constructed.

Agreed.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
2 meters on the outside of a townhouse development. Both SEC's travel through the basement of one unit - one for the dwelling and the other going completely through to the neighboring dwelling. However, my "read" of 230.3 is that this is not correct. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Are these truly SEC or are they feeders? If they are SEC running through the structure I'm not sure it was ever compliant.

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
I am wondering if there is a problem with grouping of disconnects. If each panel is located in the corresponding basement, even though this would be considered as 1 service with 2 panels, they still requiring grouping to comply with 6 switch ruling.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I'm saying the two townhomes are one building.

I would disagree with you Chris, IRC chapter 35 is very exsplicit in its description of 230.3 with figure 3501.3 and comentary;

"The service entrance conductors are not permited to be run through one building to serve another.For example, the service entrance conductors for a townhouse could not pass through the crawl space or atic of another townhouse."

Hendrix

I think that you need disconnects below the meters.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I'm saying the two townhomes are one building.
All I am saying is that you need a disconnect "nearest the point of entry of the sevice conductors". My understanding of this installation is that the service disconnect at at the respective panels and that is not nearest the poing of entrance of the service conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.