Line vs Load Side of a Switch: Industry Standard Terminology

Status
Not open for further replies.

elsag131

My name is Elsa Gonzalez and I?m a Distribution Engineer in the Operations Center for my company. Recently, my Distribution Ops Manager asked me to reach out to people in the electric utility field regarding terminology used within different organizations. Specifically, we?re looking for standard best practice in the industry with regards to referencing of switches in, and outside of, substations.

We have varying language used to describe the high and low side of a switch. For example:

In Sub Outside Sub
Bus / Line Line / Load

Source side of switch is referred to as Bus within the substation, and Line out on the feeder.
Load side of the switch is referred to as Line within the sub, and Load out on the feeder.

As you can see, there is room for miscommunication and misunderstanding, and we are working toward the standardization of common terms used within our enterprise. Are any of you willing to share what terminology is used within your organization? I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you, the community, has.

Thanks in advance for the input!

My name is Elsa Gonzalez and I?m a Distribution Engineer in the Operations Center for my company. Recently, my Distribution Ops Manager asked me to reach out to people in the electric utility field regarding terminology used within different organizations. Specifically, we?re looking for standard best practice in the industry with regards to referencing of switches in, and outside of, substations.

We have varying language used to describe the high and low side of a switch. For example:

In Sub Outside Sub
Bus / Line Line / Load

Source side of switch is referred to as Bus within the substation, and Line out on the feeder.
Load side of the switch is referred to as Line within the sub, and Load out on the feeder.

As you can see, there is room for miscommunication and misunderstanding, and we are working toward the standardization of common terms used within our enterprise. Are any of you willing to share what terminology is used within your organization? I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you, the community, has.

Thanks in advance for the input!

It seems to me that the 'In Sub' terminology of "Bus/Line" is improperly used and should be abandoned.

The Line side alaways refer to the side that is continuosly energized and the load side is that is either energized/de-energized based on the position of the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.