arc fault requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardrichman

Is Arc fault protection required on any NEW lighting circuit installed of 210-12B new or existing structure, or just where wiring is installed in a new foundation, whole house or addition?

Thanks,
HR...

kwired

Electron manager
Is Arc fault protection required on any NEW lighting circuit installed of 210-12B new or existing structure, or just where wiring is installed in a new foundation, whole house or addition?

Thanks,
HR...

210.12(B) tells us AFCI protection is required not just for new circuits but also "where branch-circuit wiring is modified, replaced, or extended", if AFCI protection is required by 210.12(A).

So adding just one receptacle or light to an existing circuit means you must AFCI protect either the entire circuit or at least from the first outlet if using a device type that installs in outlet boxes.

Dare I ask how many are doing this if it is not going to be inspected?

210.12(B) tells us AFCI protection is required not just for new circuits but also "where branch-circuit wiring is modified, replaced, or extended", if AFCI protection is required by 210.12(A).

So adding just one receptacle or light to an existing circuit means you must AFCI protect either the entire circuit or at least from the first outlet if using a device type that installs in outlet boxes.

I always install AFCI's, even if I'm not inspected................................NOT

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
OP mentions new LIGHTING circuit. I don't see where a lighting circuit would have to be afci-protected. A receptacle circuit, yes. What am I missing? :?

The NEC requires all circuits feeding outlets-- a light is an outlet- a lighting outlet but an outlet and needs afci just as any other outlet in those areas.

kwired

Electron manager
The NEC requires all circuits feeding outlets-- a light is an outlet- a lighting outlet but an outlet and needs afci just as any other outlet in those areas.

An outlet includes anything hardwired like say a baseboard heater operating at 120 volts also.

Change the heater to a 240 volts unit and you no longer have an outlet meeting the 210.12 requirements for AFCI protection.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
With the intent of the standard to protect against house wiring faults as well as faults in plugged devices, that makes perfect sense. And the areas that must be protected are selected based on the hazard from a wiring-ignited fire that starts in those areas, not any safety risk to users of appliances, etc.

howardrichman

As I see it:
All 120 v 15 or 20 amp single phase BRANCH CIRCUITS supplying outlets must be protected by AFCI. This should pertain to any NEW circuit installed, and not a modifed existing one. Definition of a branch circuit (circuit conductors between final overcurrent device and the outlet(s)). Correct me if I'm wrong.

HR...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
As I see it:
All 120 v 15 or 20 amp single phase BRANCH CIRCUITS supplying outlets must be protected by AFCI. This should pertain to any NEW circuit installed, and not a modifed existing one. Definition of a branch circuit (circuit conductors between final overcurrent device and the outlet(s)). Correct me if I'm wrong.

HR...

Not all. as of the 2011 there are areas such as bathrooms, kitchens, laundry etc that are exempt from afci

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you're in New Jersey and working on a existing structure it may fall under the rehab code which states this regarding AFCI protection:

26. As specified in Section 210.12 of the electrical subcode, Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter (AFCI)
Protection shall be required for all newly installed (not replacement) branch circuits in dwelling units provided
a listed combination type arc fault circuit interrupter breaker is available.

kwired

Electron manager
As I see it:

HR...
Which NEC edition are you referring to? I think 2011 is pretty clear they intend all circuit additions or extensions to be AFCI protected if it is a circuit otherwise mentioned as one requiring AFCI. 2008 did not have such wording.

howardrichman

Which NEC edition are you referring to? I think 2011 is pretty clear they intend all circuit additions or extensions to be AFCI protected if it is a circuit otherwise mentioned as one requiring AFCI. 2008 did not have such wording.

OK; I'm using the 2008 edition, and those requirements are not mentioned . I wasn't sure about the 2011 edition or the NJ rehab code. I could be in for added expense if so is required, but also safe before future bidding on any new work.

I'll have to get the 2011 code changes HR...

A-1Sparky

Just read the definition of "outlet" in Art. 100. I understand that new lighting circuits must be afci protected also, just don't necessarily agree with it. :cool:

kwired

Electron manager
Just read the definition of "outlet" in Art. 100. I understand that new lighting circuits must be afci protected also, just don't necessarily agree with it. :cool:
Ever since AFCI was introduced in the NEC it was required to protect "outlets" and not just receptacles, and the entire circuit was required to be protected. "Outlets" also include smoke detectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.