Cask of the Service Entrance (with apologies to Poe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
The actual connection is after the messenger is embedded, so would not that be a POCO call. If nothing else POCO could call this out as the block is affecting their messenger noodle.

Come clean, you did this work didn't you?:D

You sure seem bound and determined to say it is fine. :blink:

In my area the inspectors would fail it for being inside the building.

jumper

Come clean, you did this work didn't you?:D

You sure seem bound and determined to say it is fine. :blink:

In my area the inspectors would fail it for being inside the building.

Darn, I been caught.:cry:

Most places would fail it I imagine, but as Hurk stated in some places, left coast, it would pass.

I find the work pretty bad, but I cannot pin down a direct violation.

Just Sunday morning fun on the forum.:)

kwired

Electron manager
Darn, I been caught.:cry:

Most places would fail it I imagine, but as Hurk stated in some places, left coast, it would pass.

I find the work pretty bad, but I cannot pin down a direct violation.

Just Sunday morning fun on the forum.:)
The block work looks pretty good, they just didn't consult an electrician before surrounding this service equipment.

I do have concern over how long it takes that bare aluminum messenger to corrode away where embedded in the mortar. Get the drop to sway in the wind a little will also help its deterioration at the point of entry in the wall.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would also love to see what size that neutral is coming from the pipe on the left. It looks like a #10 but it may be larger than that.

I am surprised that this would pass the building inspection

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The neutral is mortared into the wall. I doubt that this is compliant.

Probably correct, but we need a code section to be definitive, or as Bob said: it is a AHJ call and I agreed.

The actual connection is after the messenger is embedded, so would not that be a POCO call. If nothing else POCO could call this out as the block is affecting their messenger noodle.
IMO, the concrete embedment is now part of the attachment. If the fitting itself were to become unanchored, the concrete would impede detachment.

I suppose technichally its not "attached"....more like embedded.....is it rated for direct contact with cement?

I do have concern over how long it takes that bare aluminum messenger to corrode away where embedded in the mortar. Get the drop to sway in the wind a little will also help its deterioration at the point of entry in the wall.
The argument it is a POCO call is sound if the service point is at the drop/entrance splice. NEC would not apply.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
So, when am I going to get a taste of that Amontillado? Is it much further to walk down this dark corridor? :lol:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
From the title of the thread, I could tell that the OP was making a (poor, I must say) play on words, related to the short story, "The Cask of Amontillado," by Edgar Allan Poe. A person much hated by the teller of the tale is led down a series of dark underground corridors, or catacombs, with the promise of an opportunity to taste a very special wine (i.e., the Amontillado). When the two arrive at the end of the corridor, the story teller chains his victim to the wall, and starts building a brick wall (not unlike the photo in the first post) in front of the victim. We hear the victim's final screams of terror, as the last brick is put into place.

Nice guy, the Poe fellow.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
From the title of the thread, I could tell that the OP was making a (poor, I must say) play on words, related to the short story, "The Cask of Amontillado," by Edgar Allan Poe. A person much hated by the teller of the tale is led down a series of dark underground corridors, or catacombs, with the promise of an opportunity to taste a very special wine (i.e., the Amontillado). When the two arrive at the end of the corridor, the story teller chains his victim to the wall, and starts building a brick wall (not unlike the photo in the first post) in front of the victim. We hear the victim's final screams of terror, as the last brick is put into place. ...
Ahh!!! Not familiar with it, so you had me wondering... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.