Proper method to measure Foot Candles

Status
Not open for further replies.
And what's the orientation of the sensor? Do you aim it straight up, towards the luminaire, facing the ATM, facing the camera, or in some other direction?

The NYS banking authority guidelines state that readings at 30' are to be taken with the meter held horizontally, but doesn't state at what height.

readings at 60' are to be taken with the meter pointed towards the light source(s).

kwired

Electron manager
The NYS banking authority guidelines state that readings at 30' are to be taken with the meter held horizontally, but doesn't state at what height.

readings at 60' are to be taken with the meter pointed towards the light source(s).

Assuming you meant 30 inches and 60 inches and not feet.

kwired

Electron manager
Not talking above grade... rather 30' and 60' horizontally from the reference location.
What if the room is not even 30' in any dimension? I still think inches and not feet is the correct unit of measurement, and is all I was trying to bring attention to.

kwired

Electron manager
It seems like they are discussing lighting levels for an outdoor ATM.
You are right, somehow I completely missed two posts (like post #3 and 4) that kind of make that more obvious.

I think I realize what happened. The OP is nearly a month old, I probably read the earlier posts but never replied to any of them. Then today I happened to catch new posts but did not realize I wasn't starting from beginning when I made my first reply today. The conversion does make more sense now that I looked at older content.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
You are right, somehow I completely missed two posts (like post #3 and 4) that kind of make that more obvious.

I think I realize what happened. The OP is nearly a month old, I probably read the earlier posts but never replied to any of them. Then today I happened to catch new posts but did not realize I wasn't starting from beginning when I made my first reply today. The conversion does make more sense now that I looked at older content.
:D;)

Parallel with the surface. You are trying to measure the observable object's illumination as perceived by your eyes.

Actually, the NYS banking authority guidelines state that readings at 30' are to be taken with the meter held horizontally,(parallel with the surface), but readings at 60' are to be taken with the meter pointed towards the light source(s).

See post #4...copy and pasted directly from the NYS Banking Authority Guidelines

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.