Gfci in laundry room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Dont have book right now to look up "outlets" but arent outlets an opening? Thus a hardwired appliance not be considered an outlet an exempt from this requirement? Bare with me if I'm mistaken again I can't check the definitions section right this minute

You are mostly right, but most of 210.8 GFCI requirements are for "receptacle outlets" and not just "outlets"

Most places where GFCI is required for other than receptacles is in chapters 5 and 6 for specific applications.

bobbymari

You are mostly right, but most of 210.8 GFCI requirements are for "receptacle outlets" and not just "outlets"

Most places where GFCI is required for other than receptacles is in chapters 5 and 6 for specific applications.

Right this is what I was getting at, I can see the requirement if it's a cord and plug appliance since the wording is there for " recepts", but if say a disposal or dishwasher were to be hard wired, I'm not finding were GFCI protection is required , as they are niether outlets or receptacle outlets. Or is this to be specified comming in 2014?

Man AFCI as well as GFCI in kitchens is going to really suck. I realize if wired correctly there should be no problems. NOTTTTTT

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
To be honest I have not had a lot of trouble with Afci's. The biggest problem I have is with some flat screen TV's and a few paddle fans. Usually changing the afci to a different generation will do the trick

bobbymari

To be honest I have not had a lot of trouble with Afci's. The biggest problem I have is with some flat screen TV's and a few paddle fans. Usually changing the afci to a different generation will do the trick

Agreed on new installs, the newer types seem to do well, but it's just a headache on the troubleshooting comming in after someone else when there is a problem. But hey it's work so let me stop complaining....

kwired

Electron manager
Right this is what I was getting at, I can see the requirement if it's a cord and plug appliance since the wording is there for " recepts", but if say a disposal or dishwasher were to be hard wired, I'm not finding were GFCI protection is required , as they are niether outlets or receptacle outlets. Or is this to be specified comming in 2014?

Man AFCI as well as GFCI in kitchens is going to really suck. I realize if wired correctly there should be no problems. NOTTTTTT

Look at art 100 definition of outlet. The DW and disp both have an outlet point whether they are cord and plug connected or are hard wired. Exact location of this point could be debatable but there is an outlet somewhere.

bobbymari

Look at art 100 definition of outlet. The DW and disp both have an outlet point whether they are cord and plug connected or are hard wired. Exact location of this point could be debatable but there is an outlet somewhere.

well there you have it, could of swore it mentioned an opening. Yea that definetly would pertain to hardwired as well. There went that thoery

Status
Not open for further replies.