Fuel Cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Looking for a recommendation on a fuel cell for back up DC power to a radio site. Perhaps 4 amps at 24 volts, for up to 2 days. Have one I am lookng at from Ballard, out of Burnaby, BC

eHunter

Looking for a recommendation on a fuel cell for back up DC power to a radio site. Perhaps 4 amps at 24 volts, for up to 2 days. Have one I am lookng at from Ballard, out of Burnaby, BC

What fuel are you planning to use?

From experience, Ballard makes decent equipment.
Pricey, but generaly they deliver on their promise.

Not sure but I would like to use a fuel in a bottle similar to a small propane canninster.

...and thus the inherent problem with fuel cells arises. The fuel supply must be replenished. With unattended, remote stations it would require either regular inspections, visit or a remote indication that the fuel supply is just about to go below the required range. Unlike ordinary batteries that got recharged from line voltage, the energy source for fuel cells is 'captive' not unlike a small engine powered generator. Most commonly it is hydrogen.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
So you would plan on enough fuel storage to last through the maximum expected outage of the main power, and also count on being able to reach the site to refill the fuel storage either before or shortly after power is restored? In some cases roads may be blocked for some time after the power is restored if the damage that took out the power was not local.

Status
Not open for further replies.