Tempeture rating of cloth coverd single conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Black GRC sounds like old gas pipe. Sounds like a fun project.

Is there a 40C conductor rating?

G stands for galvanized, there probably is no "G" to the pipe mentioned.

All I have ever seen in installs of about that age is basically just black pipe, never galvanized.

Not sure they actually had a true "electrical grade" pipe made for the purpose, and it probably was the same pipe that was used for gas pipe.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
The conductor sounds like old K&T. IIRC, it was meant to be installed with a few inches of space between conductors and sliding it through pipe could have been a violation even way back then. Even when entering boxes, properly installed K&T will only have one conductor per hole. IOW, the conductors were designed to be never touching one and other.

Riograndeelectric

The conductor sounds like old K&T. IIRC, it was meant to be installed with a few inches of space between conductors and sliding it through pipe could have been a violation even way back then. Even when entering boxes, properly installed K&T will only have one conductor per hole. IOW, the conductors were designed to be never touching one and other.

I am fan=milar with K&T this is not it could be K&T type conductor but all conductors enter in pancake box for ceiling in Black pipe and enetr into devices single conductors through balck pipe.
was Baclk pipe before or after K&T house was built in1917 orginally a Montesarri .

Is this 40C insulation?

does any one have a code book dating back to 1917 and can verify tempurature rating of insulation?

Riograndeelectric

If any one can steer me in the right direction on where to find information on the transformation of gas piping to use of electrical and early wiring practices please let me know.
I have googled 1915 National electric code bok and did not find anything.
Thanks.
Cameron

Status
Not open for further replies.