Votes: 0 0.0%
  • bad

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfredes

Hello everyone, just a quick question that I am sure can be answered. I work for a hotel which is under renovations, we have crestron lighting systems in each room. some room are being reconfig and they are reusing old cresnet wires and leaving splices in the wall w/o access to the. The question is, are they allowed to leave low volt splices in the walls with no access to them with just wire nut?? Thanks in advance for your help.

bfredes

Low voltage splice w/o j/box

Low voltage splice w/o j/box

I tried to post something, but wasn't sure if it went thru, so I will repost... I work for a hotel that's going thru a renovation, and some rooms are being reconfigured. we are using crestron lighting system in the room. the contractors are leaving splice on the cresnet wiring in the wall w/o having them in a j/box. just with wire nuts. the question is, are they allowed to leave low voltage wire (14V) and the communication wiring concealed in the walls and ceilings without access to them. thanks in advance for you help......

raider1

Staff member
If Class 2 or 3 wiring methods are used a box is not needed for a splice; but, I think the splice needs to be accessible.

Cannot pin down a reference for accessible here though.:?

No requirement that Class 2 and 3 splices be accessible.

Chris

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I also have no reference handy at the moment, but AFAIK many low voltage lighting cables are not allowed in walls, spliced or not.

Depends on the insulation and other characteristics. I believe that the question has come up with respect to audio cables, cable TV, video, HDMI, etc.
I am not sure whether it is the UL listing of the cable/wiring or the NEC or another code relying on that listing that limits use in walls.

I hope that these are only control wires, not low voltage lighting power wires.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Crestron net is data wiring so at most it's CL2 depending on interpretation. So while there is no prohibition on buried splices good workmanship dictates that they be made accessible wherever possible. This can be done by moving the splice location to above a hung ceiling or installing a LV ring and blank plate in the wall for example. The next guy will thank you.-Hal

nhfire77

Crestron net is data wiring so at most it's CL2 depending on interpretation. So while there is no prohibition on buried splices good workmanship dictates that they be made accessible wherever possible. This can be done by moving the splice location to above a hung ceiling or installing a LV ring and blank plate in the wall for example. The next guy will thank you.-Hal

I agree, buried splices are legit, but sloppy. Having said that, if I am bidding a project as big as a hotel, and know the other bidders are corner cutters, I would list it as a VE option.

Sodlering and tape is an option, if your guys are fast. I know two firms in new england that do not allow any splice but S+T on non fire LV cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.