California Threeway or such

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I apologize for bringing this up again but I need some help with an unconventional three way switch setup.

I have a switch at the bottom of the stairs and switch at the top of the stairs. There is a bx cable that supplies power from the box at the top of the stairs to the switch at the bottom. There is a bx cable that runs from the switch at the top of the stairs to the lighting outlet at the top of the stairs and from the lighting outlet at the top of the stairs down to a lighting outlet at the bottom of the stairs and continues on to the switch at the bottom of the stairs.

So, I have one big loop with a hot and neutral present at both switch boxes and only two wire cable.

I had to cut out the switches and they were a real mess. Originally both the box at the bottom and the box at the top had two switches in each one. I am happy to just have this problem solved with two three way switches if possible.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I would solve this by using set of RF switches ( Lutron Radio RA or Line carrier Insteon) and be done with it. Yes these switches are more expensive but at least it will be wired in a more correct fashion. Change the box out for a deeper one if necessary. If done this way the Nuetral travels with the Hot and reduces EMF.

My prefrence these days

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
RF Switches and BX

RF Switches and BX

Will the RF switches work well with metal boxes and BX cable?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
For a 3 way set up as yours not a issue. The antenae are pointing to the front , I have used metal boxes without problems.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Insteon has both RF and line carries , Most if not all in wall switches work by line carrier.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
Get a porcalen(?SP) fixture with pull chain switch, attach to existing outlet on ceiling, attach loooong string to pull chain and then all you need to do is explain how much you saved them by not installing any fancy new fangled switchs or rewireing!:ashamed::lol::bye:

Status
Not open for further replies.