Mounting cameras to cable tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinbad

Hi everyone,
I have a large install in South Florida to bid on where they convert a warehouse to night club.
The ceiling is going to be open grid (8? x 8? squares) suspended @ +12?-0? above finish floor, open to structure above.
The total height is 26'.

I am planning to recommend installing cable trays above the grid for my cameras wiring and A/V cabling to make life easier for everyone.

My question is if it will be code violation to mount my cameras to the bottom of the tray, or dropping a 24" long EMT stub from the cable tray to a gang box.
The cameras are very light, maybe 2 LBs max, I really doubt it will affect the tray system.
Will appreciate any comments thanks.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The code does not directly cover this issue, but based on the wording of 392.18(G), I would get the AHJ to sign off on your plans before making the installation.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Hi everyone,
I have a large install in South Florida to bid on where they convert a warehouse to night club.
The ceiling is going to be open grid (8? x 8? squares) suspended @ +12?-0? above finish floor, open to structure above.
The total height is 26'.

I am planning to recommend installing cable trays above the grid for my cameras wiring and A/V cabling to make life easier for everyone.

My question is if it will be code violation to mount my cameras to the bottom of the tray, or dropping a 24" long EMT stub from the cable tray to a gang box.
The cameras are very light, maybe 2 LBs max, I really doubt it will affect the tray system.
Will appreciate any comments thanks.

for what it's worth, i'd use a threaded grc nipple to hang off of....

sometimes emt fittings come loose..... a nice thick locknut holding
stuff would be more secure... this is gonna be over a dance floor,
clogged with drunken swaying people, right?

if one of them got bonked, well, you'd have to buy them drinks for
a very long time...... :angel:

kwired

Electron manager
for what it's worth, i'd use a threaded grc nipple to hang off of....

sometimes emt fittings come loose..... a nice thick locknut holding
stuff would be more secure... this is gonna be over a dance floor,
clogged with drunken swaying people, right?

if one of them got bonked, well, you'd have to buy them drinks for
a very long time...... :angel:

Unless they are NBA superstars I think they will need a ladder to even reach them according to information in the OP.:happyyes:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
That wouldn't have anything to do with whether or not it is hung from the cable tray:p. Unless you can claim the cable tray fell because the camera(s) were hung from it

I think the concern is the EMT might work loose from the connector, which if you used a compression connector I can see with the vibration from near 100 db sound equipment. If there's some way to secure a safety cable to the camera housing that might address the concern.

kwired

Electron manager
I think the concern is the EMT might work loose from the connector, which if you used a compression connector I can see with the vibration from near 100 db sound equipment. If there's some way to secure a safety cable to the camera housing that might address the concern.
It probably has a Cat 5 cable that can double as a safety cable:)

nhfire77

As long as no one cares about the camera attached to the grid go for it. Id use a safety cable to zip the wire to on the way down. Something like caddy speed link, braided cable. Keeps it neat and gives you a way to keep it from falling somehow.

If AHJ/arch/owner doesn't want it screwed to the grid, use 3/4" EMT. Drop it down from a swivel plate off a 3/0 box to another box. If the camera lacks the proper screw holes for box and you don't want to drill it out: use the Arlington Cam Kit (ARLSC5), theyre less than $4. A properly rated safety cable is now a must. Attached it to the structure above and then to the camera. Run the safety cable in the through swivel, both boxes, and emt. It will keep anything from separating and falling.

Last edited:

sinbad

thanks for the replies guys. some quite amusing I need to visit here more often :)
after going over the plans again I see that I will have a wall pretty much anywhere I will need a camera. I don't like the idea of mounting it directly on the grid esthetic wise.
Mounting them on the wall will save me a lot of work and material.

Still would be interested to know what the AHJ would think on mounting them on cable tray as I think it can be done safely without damaging the tray or its wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.