Switch cover to prevent "accidents"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Thought that might be the case when you mentioned "wet location & cleaning" in the same post.
Doesn't change the answers much, IMO, but with the "wash-down" feature, I would go for the higher.
The "switch" idea seems like a disaster waiting to happen. If they absolutely needed/wanted one I would suggest some type of protective cover to minimize accidental misuse.

I came across this post earlier, and it reminded me that a while back I was looking for "some type of protective cover" for a standard snap switch. When working with things like refrigerators (which is what the original thread was about), I prefer to specify cord-and-plug models, but clients often take that decision out of my hands. When we have to provide power to a hard-wired refrigerator, we provide a local disconnect (typically just a snap switch). Even though the Electrician usually tries to install the switch up high on the wall or in an out-of-the-way location, I still really dislike this setup -- it's just too easy for somebody to accidentally shut off power to the fridge while trying to turn on/off the lights.

When I've searched for protective switch covers before, the results have been less than satisfying. I don't need a tamper-resistant or locking cover, and the "child-proof" covers I've seen are just ridiculous in their looks and (lack of) functionality. The closest I've been able to find is a weatherproof cover, which would work fine, but seems to be sort of an overkill for this application (plus the Architects/interior designers tell me weatherproof covers just aren't "visually appealing"). All I really need is a little flip-up cover that makes people think twice about opening it to flip the switch (hmm... maybe I shouldn't press the red button), and prevents accidentally flipping the switch by brushing up against the wall.

Anybody have any suggestions, or will I need to stick with the weatherproof cover?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I don't need a tamper-resistant or locking cover, and the "child-proof" covers I've seen are just ridiculous in their looks and (lack of) functionality. The closest I've been able to find is a weatherproof cover, which would work fine, but seems to be sort of an overkill for this application (plus the Architects/interior designers tell me weatherproof covers just aren't "visually appealing"). All I really need is a little flip-up cover that makes people think twice about opening it to flip the switch (hmm... maybe I shouldn't press the red button), and prevents accidentally flipping the switch by brushing up against the wall.

Anybody have any suggestions, or will I need to stick with the weatherproof cover?

These are kind of cute IMHO, and you do not have to use a lock.
But these look a lot simpler. No cute kiddy designs on them either.

drspec

switchlock_zps7f99349f.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/National-Mfg-280842-Switch-Lock/dp/B000HJD9KM

drspec

Now that is minimal! But it looks like you have to either unscrew it or break it to flip the switch.
How about this one, linked from the details tab on the same page?
I think those are the same ones you linked to earlier. The switch would only need to be flipped when servicing, so 1 plate screw wouldn't be a problem to me.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Amerelle switch guards from Home Depot. Half round guard, covers switch well but is open on 1 side, allowing access to switch when needed. I have used these several times. io ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Amerelle switch guards from Home Depot. Half round guard, covers switch well but is open on 1 side, allowing access to switch when needed. I have used these several times. io ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I too have used these. I've used these in resi for motion sensor flood switches located in multi-switch boxes.

Used them at a condo complex where the crawlspace light switch is in the same box as the switch for the supplemental (heat) circulator pumps.

they work great, are easy to install, and are inexpensive.

I use a 1" two-hole PVC pipe strap which almost perfectly lines up with the plate screws. Add a couple of washers and change the screws to the pan-head type that come with devices for attaching them to the box and I'm done. Devised this out of desperation for a pump disconnect switch that kept getting bumped in a crawlspace.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The most visually appealing solution (in the minds of the architects and interior designers, both of which are represented in my office) would be to skip the local disconnect entirely. All you need to do is to have the circuit breaker that feeds the fridge be lockable in the open position, and to have the locking device be permanently installed at the breaker (with or without the lock engaged).

kwired

Electron manager

dhalleron

Your customers are happy with a dishwasher disconnect above the countertop?

Even if you told them code requires this, most are going to ask why other places do not have such a switch.

Well. Someone here suggested I install it above the counter, so I started doing it that way. I only do this part time even though I am licensed and insured, so I haven't done many that way.

I always had issues with storage under the counter blocking the switch or the switch getting accidently turned off under the counter. I guess I could install the guard on a switch under the counter.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Well. Someone here suggested I install it above the counter, so I started doing it that way. I only do this part time even though I am licensed and insured, so I haven't done many that way.

I always had issues with storage under the counter blocking the switch or the switch getting accidently turned off under the counter. I guess I could install the guard on a switch under the counter.

The disconnect is mainly intended for servicing, in which case moving some cupboard contents will be an inconvenience but not a safety hazard. It is not an emergency stop switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.