beat the heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewire

Just got a flyer for a "cooling vest" it appears to be a light weight vest that has gell packs that can be frozen then inserted into pockets on the vest. With temps near 100 this week I thought it might be worth a look anyone ever use something like this?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Just got a flyer for a "cooling vest" it appears to be a light weight vest that has gell packs that can be frozen then inserted into pockets on the vest. With temps near 100 this week I thought it might be worth a look anyone ever use something like this?

Nope but it sounds good in this weeks heat wave.:thumbsup:

chris1971

Do you have a link to this product?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Sounds like a good idea but I doubt it will work as promised.

Besides, you leave the house around 7 or 8:00 and by the time you need that around 10-11 it will probably be melted half way. So around 12:00 to 1:00PM PM when you need it the most it will be almost melted all the way.

I had two of those towels that you are suppose to wet and snap and apparently it will be much cooler and will take heat off of your body, well, I am sorry it doesn't work as promised.

wirebender

We have been setting records for the lowest high temps here in North Texas.

Highs in the seventies, rain for the last 4 days. It is unbelievable. The end is near. :p

kwired

Electron manager

Besides, you leave the house around 7 or 8:00 and by the time you need that around 10-11 it will probably be melted half way. So around 12:00 to 1:00PM PM when you need it the most it will be almost melted all the way.

I had two of those towels that you are suppose to wet and snap and apparently it will be much cooler and will take heat off of your body, well, I am sorry it doesn't work as promised.

Kind of along my line of thinking. May even be melted sooner than you mentioned.

If you were to use it right away after removing from freezer it could even be too cold at first. This can stress your body also if it is too cold as your body will spend a lot of energy trying to maintain normal body temperature. I read this once about not drinking too cold of water - though it feels good your body works harder to bring internal temp to a normal level. Though bringing the cold to internal body maybe is a little different, there is still some similarities there.

cowboyjwc

Staff member

Saw that one and saw one called "the frogger"?, I think that's the name. I went into the store at 4:00 and they said that they poured the water on it at 9:00 and it still felt cool. Should have bought one then for golf, because I haven't seen it since.

HoosierSparky

Senior Plans Examiner, MEP
Occupation
Senior Plans Examiner
Lightweights!

Lightweights!

It gets up to 122 in the shade here in the Phoenix area. I've even worked as a sparky around open hearth furnaces in a steel mill. Just drink lots of water, keep as much skin covered as possible and you'll be OK. That being said, complaining about the heat is as popular as complaining about how little we are paid for what we do!:cool:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
It gets up to 122 in the shade here in the Phoenix area. I've even worked as a sparky around open hearth furnaces in a steel mill. Just drink lots of water, keep as much skin covered as possible and you'll be OK. That being said, complaining about the heat is as popular as complaining about how little we are paid for what we do!:cool:

Only until winter when we start to complain about the cold.:happyyes:

renosteinke

I have a crew member who, for various medical reasons, has extreme difficulty dealing with heat. She finds the special garments to be very helpful.

I can't claim to understand how they work, but their cooling abilities seem to have some sort of 'time release' to them. Hers last about half a day.

Left unaddressed, of course, is how taking protective measures against ordinary (but deadly) heat stroke conflict with the latest mandates for 'arc flash' protection.

I submit that none of the 'cooling' garments are rated for any sort of flash protection, and may actually make things worse.

I also submit that arc-flash rated clothing - even at the lowest level of long sleeves and high collars - dramatically increase the heat stress you feel.

I can't cite numbers, but I strongly suspect a lot more folks are hurt by heat stress than arc flash. Heat stress certainly contributes to poor decision making.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Left unaddressed, of course, is how taking protective measures against ordinary (but deadly) heat stroke conflict with the latest mandates for 'arc flash' protection

It pretty much comes down to astronaut underwear with liquid cooling tubes (silicone for heat resistance) or pumped cool air through hoses. :)
All inside the arc flash suit.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

about the hottest i ever was, was wiring the ovens for
snyders of hanover pretzel factory in goodyear, az.
they were proofing the ovens, which had 4" gas feeds
to them, and it was hotter outside than next to the ovens.

"but it's a dry heat".
not during the six weeks of monsoon it isn't... :happyno::happyno::happyno:

what works for me when it's that fugly hot, is a straw hat with a sponge
in the top of it.... get it wet, and it cools the head down, and that gets
25% of the blood flow from the heart. squirt water on it from the cooler
as necessary.

same with cooling the cartoid arteries. the easiest way to get to all that hot
blooded blood. cool the neck.

http://www.blackicecooling.com/personal_cooling_maxsys.html

$70. cheaper than a heatstroke.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
It pretty much comes down to astronaut underwear with liquid cooling tubes (silicone for heat resistance) or pumped cool air through hoses. :)
All inside the arc flash suit.

it was 90 yesterday where i was working, and at 3 pm, it
was time to put on the 40 cal suit and open up a panel
on the sunny side of the building.

the jacket and balaclava went on. screw the bib overalls.
if i'd put those on, i wouldn't have needed an arc to burn up.

Status
Not open for further replies.