LED fixture and HPS circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgookin

Can I tie LED fixture to an existing high pressure sodium lighting circuit? I guess not. Thanks

You don't have a HPS circuit; you have an electric circuit and you want to connect an electrical device. It will work fine.

If you're adding load (leaving old fixtures in place and adding more fixtures to the circuit) someone needs to do load calculations to make sure you don't exceed the capacity of that circuit.

If you're swapping out fixtures, your load will most likely go down and you'll be fine.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You don't have a HPS circuit; you have an electric circuit and you want to connect an electrical device. It will work fine.

If you're adding load (leaving old fixtures in place and adding more fixtures to the circuit) someone needs to do load calculations to make sure you don't exceed the capacity of that circuit.

If you're swapping out fixtures, your load will most likely go down and you'll be fine.

In the unlikely event that you are dealing with a series circuit, as in some old street light installations, you will have a problem. But as long as your LED fixture just connects in parallel to the wires of an existing branch circuit and not to the output of HPS ballast, there should be no problem.

kwired

Electron manager
Can I tie LED fixture to an existing high pressure sodium lighting circuit? I guess not. Thanks
Are you trying to add/replace entire fixture or just replace a lamp with a different type? LED will either need a driver designed for running it or it will be a self contained unit with driver and all you need is proper supply voltage. The HPS lamp will be driven by a driver (more commonly called a ballast) specifically designed to regulate voltage and current to operate that lamp and will not be directly connected to the input voltage.

Are you trying to add/replace entire fixture or just replace a lamp with a different type? LED will either need a driver designed for running it or it will be a self contained unit with driver and all you need is proper supply voltage. The HPS lamp will be driven by a driver (more commonly called a ballast) specifically designed to regulate voltage and current to operate that lamp and will not be directly connected to the input voltage.

I'm new to LED. Thx

Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.