Cutler-Hammer tan handle panels & breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This is just a "Heads Up" on the newest CH tan handle equipment. I upgraded a service yesterday using a CH, 200 A-MB, 42 circuit panel. I ordered enough breakers to accommodate all existing circuits. I also ordered a surface cover with a pre-manufactured generator interlock kit. The supply house that I used chose to give me a "value packed" panel. In that panel was a flush cover, (1)-2p-30 and (5) sp-20 breakers. The new breakers that they gave me now have "trip windows". The ones packed in the value pack did not.

Now I have 2 issues with this supply house; (1) did I pay add'l $$ for the flush cover that I can't use ? And (2) I wouldn't have cared one way or another whether the breakers had trip windows or not but I can't sell a customer a new breaker panel with both types of breakers. Will they exchange the breakers ? More information to follow :rant:

kwired

Electron manager
This is just a "Heads Up" on the newest CH tan handle equipment. I upgraded a service yesterday using a CH, 200 A-MB, 42 circuit panel. I ordered enough breakers to accommodate all existing circuits. I also ordered a surface cover with a pre-manufactured generator interlock kit. The supply house that I used chose to give me a "value packed" panel. In that panel was a flush cover, (1)-2p-30 and (5) sp-20 breakers. The new breakers that they gave me now have "trip windows". The ones packed in the value pack did not.

Now I have 2 issues with this supply house; (1) did I pay add'l $$ for the flush cover that I can't use ? And (2) I wouldn't have cared one way or another whether the breakers had trip windows or not but I can't sell a customer a new breaker panel with both types of breakers. Will they exchange the breakers ? More information to follow :rant:

Did you end up with an extra cover? If not I doubt you paid any extra, you maybe paid less though.

I haven't heard of anyone using "trip windows" except for Square D's QO series which I always thought was because they had patent protection for that feature. The old "Pushmatic" breakers did have a somewhat similar feature, but they almost had to as you otherwise wouldn't be able to tell if it was on or off very easily.

If they have new feature the value pack may be just old enough stock that it doesn't have those breakers in it yet.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I seriously doubt they will exchange the breakers as the value packs come as a unit and can't be sold separately.

See if they have any old stock breakers without the trip indicators, they should exchange those. Or else see if someone else has the old style breakers. Buy them and return the newer ones to your supply house.

Or you could "fabricate" a small fib and tell the customer the newer breakers came with the new cover with the interlock.:angel:

ceb58

They have came out with a new type CH AFCI breaker. It doesn't have the neutral pig tail. When you install the breaker it has a clamp that fits on the neutral bar. Looks like it will be neater install.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
...why not ask the supplier that supplied the material?:? I am sure they looked out for you, especially if your a regular, if not, look for different supplier!

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
They have came out with a new type CH AFCI breaker. It doesn't have the neutral pig tail. When you install the breaker it has a clamp that fits on the neutral bar. Looks like it will be neater install.
I tried to get some of those two years ago.

My guy at the local supply house said the CH rep quoted him a price of $200.00 bucks a piece.:jawdrop:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
...why not ask the supplier that supplied the material?:? I am sure they looked out for you, especially if your a regular, if not, look for different supplier!
I did that. BTW, he's not just a supplier - he's a friend. I questioned him about it and made it clear that I was not looking for him to get stuck with this but that it should be an issue with CH. His explaination was that getting the value packed panel cover with the breakers was basically a gift (in a wierd kind of way) and that there was actually no extra charge. He also told me that he could not take back the value packed breakers that I installed due to a liability issue.

I brought back the flush panel cover and told him to keep it in case another customer wanted a flush cover. As far as the breakers go - I'm not going to burn a bridge over $50 worth of breakers

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
FYI, it's not only the breaker that's special, you have to order a special panel as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.