Rooftop lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcarroll

Can an inspector fail you for not installing a light on a rooftop A/C unit. How can he site a code article that doesn't exist?
Thanks
I suppose an inspector can try to fail you for anything. :happysad: Hopefully, you can challenge a bad call, as this one definitley is. If the inspector can't back up the call or won't back down, talk to the AHJ.
No body can cite a code article that doesn't exist. You do have a code book, yes?

NEC 210.70....

NEC 210.70....

The inspector is probably hanging his hat on 210.70 (A)(3) or (C)
If you allow him to fail you, he will need to identify the code section
of the violation....

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
210.70 (3) (C) is for attic and crawl spaces.

There are no requirements for a lighting outlet for rooftop equipment, only GFCI receptical within 25 feet on the same level. It is a good idea but not required.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
No clue, I just know that whatever code we are under, or amendments to it require lighting at gas fired equipment.

Have done many as extras when it was overlooked.

Massachusetts is listed as using IMC.

306.3.1 requires lighting in attics

306.4.1 requires lighting under floors

306.5 is the requirements for roof and elevated structures; here is where an local amendment would have been added.

I have worked on many rooftop units at night and having the lighting is a great idea.

Gaffen99

This was a replacement job. I have done them all over the state of NJ and never put lights on any of them. I don't put them on as it is not a requirement of NEC. Every unit comes with GFCI outlet in it. I always thought that was sufficient. These replacements are priced at just that, the lights are not scope of work. In this case, the existing units have lights and I think he is playing when in Rome... As far as other codes are concerned, as I stated, I haven't had any problems anywhere else.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
This was a replacement job. I have done them all over the state of NJ and never put lights on any of them. I don't put them on as it is not a requirement of NEC. Every unit comes with GFCI outlet in it. I always thought that was sufficient. These replacements are priced at just that, the lights are not scope of work. In this case, the existing units have lights and I think he is playing when in Rome... As far as other codes are concerned, as I stated, I haven't had any problems anywhere else.

Just because you've never done it anywhere else, doesn't meant that this inspector is wrong, just means the other ones might not have been doing their job.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Massachusetts uses NFPA 54-2002 as part if its Fuel and Gas Code.

NFPA 54 requires permanent lighting to be provided at the access to the roof that has gas equipment installed on it.

2002 NFPA 54

8.4.3.4 Permanent lighting shall be provided at the roof access. The switch for such lighting shall be located inside the building near the access means leading to the roof.

At the access but not at the equipment.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Massachusetts is listed as using IMC.

306.3.1 requires lighting in attics

306.4.1 requires lighting under floors

306.5 is the requirements for roof and elevated structures; here is where an local amendment would have been added.

I have worked on many rooftop units at night and having the lighting is a great idea.

thats what the outlet is for, plug a work light in. Even if a light where required, in all likelihood, you would still need additional lighting JMO

Last edited:

Gaffen99

Just because you've never done it anywhere else, doesn't meant that this inspector is wrong, just means the other ones might not have been doing their job.

I get that, but am I in violation? IMO, I am not. I don't have an NEC requirement, nor have I found one in other NJ codes.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
2002 NFPA 54

8.4.3.4 Permanent lighting shall be provided at the roof access. The switch for such lighting shall be located inside the building near the access means leading to the roof.

At the access but not at the equipment.

Yes, that is what I said.

NFPA 54 requires permanent lighting to be provided at the access to the roof that has gas equipment installed on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.