main panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
when is it approved for a main lug panel to be used. it is going in a commercial rental unit, and has a main disconn. at service on building, do i need a main breaker in panel, since this i think is considered a sub-panel.

thanks for quick response, i have been looking for answer all day, its such a common practice to install panels here with a main, that i have forget if was necessary, especially since it has a main dissconn. already. the panels are much cheaper and this is a way to save a buck i think, but do you think its any kind of safety issue?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Your only concern is if the tenants have access to the overcurrent device back at the main disconnect. And I'm not completely sure that's required. Code book out in the truck, etc.

hurk27

Here it can be a little cheaper for a main breaker panel because they are more common, so it is just a choice that many times I could use a ML panel, nothing in code prevents us from using a main breaker panel when a main lug panel can be used, it just provides another disconnect.

Just remember when using a main breaker panel in place of a main lug you don't forget to treat it as a sub panel with keeping the neutrals and grounding seperate as well as landing the GEC's in the main service disconnect not in this sub panel.

Last edited:
thanks again for your responses, this is my first time on this forum, pretty cool. i thought there was no requirement for a main in a panel, as long as there was a main over current at service. but don,t have a code book on me to look for sure.

Here it can be a little cheaper for a main breaker panel because they are more common, so it is just a choice that many times I could use a ML panel, nothing in code prevents us from using a main breaker panel when a main lug panel can be used, it just provides another disconnect.

Just remember when using a main breaker panel in place of a main lug you don't forget to treat it as a sub panel with keeping the neutrals and grounding seperate as well as landing the GEC's in the main service disconnect not in this sub panel.

so you mean that any time a main panel for a multi unit building and can us a main lug only, since there is a overcurrent protection at service for unit unit and panel

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
so you mean that any time a main panel for a multi unit building and can us a main lug only, since there is a overcurrent protection at service for unit unit and panel

Yes, but the ungrounded conductors and equipment ground conductors cannot be bonded in that panel, they can only be bonded back where the overcurrent protection is.

Status
Not open for further replies.