Problem with local inspeactor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
It's the same reason that contractors charge $150 for service calls. You have to include everything and everyone that's involved.

I get paid to be in the field anyway, so whether I go to 5 jobs a day or 15 jobs a day, I get paid all the same. We simply feel that come the third call you're just wasting our time.

All makes sense, but doing reinspections for no additional charge vs complaining about the paperwork with additional charges doesn't make sense to me. The additional charges are there to make up for lost revenue for doing additional work on your part.

I don't see how your department is losing money by sending out a notice plus reinspection fee vs. reinspecting for no additional charge - then having to come back again because you didn't tell them exactly what needed changed. If the reinspection fee is not enough to cover actual costs, then the amount of the fee needs re-evaluated.

I will not get into the battles you probably have with non-qualified installers, but majority of your contractors will probably get it right with the first correction notice - if they know what you are asking to be corrected. If I had a 200,000 square foot building and all you mentioned as a deficiency is "improper cable securing or support", how am I supposed to know if you mean most of it is wrong (at least in your opinion) or if you just found a couple places that needed attention? And if just a couple of places, what is wrong with pointing out where they are at?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Why can't I get to page 7 of this thread ?????

Well, now I got there :happyno:
It happens. It is so intermittent that nobody seems to be able to identify the problem and fix it.
You can always work around it by changing (either increasing or decreasing) the number of posts per page in your General Settings.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I've dealt with a few inspectors who "prefer" I not be there during inspection, which I have a hard time agreeing to. I would totally understand an inspector who requests that I don't talk to him during the inspection, but that I not be there at all? That's rude.

I do try and be present for inspections, especially a whole house rewire for clarity in case something gets dinged. I try as often as possible to work with inspectors who are open and willing to discuss what they find and explore the best options for correction. Interestingly, I've noticed the ones who don't want me there are also the ones whose stickers I see on a lot of panels with gross violations in them (doubled neutrals on busses, neutrals and/or grounds twisted together in large bundles and jammed into terminals, etc.)

I appreciate what a good inspector can do for me - they are a second set of eyes and could catch something I forgot or missed. It's the best shot at real, live education I get anymore ;)

I insist on being there,if there is something wrong , tell me, not my client,the last thing I want is anyone telling my clients there is something wrong with my work,I even bring some hand tools in case he wants something opened,I make friends with them and let them take as much time as they want,also anything that is missing or wrong I can fix on the spot,I've never had one tell me to stay outside...:lol:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You can set your settings to 40 posts per page,that makes this page 2..:)
And sooner or later you will find that you cannot get to page 2 of some thread with 41 posts. In which case changing to 30 per will probably let you see it.
If you post to the thread that you cannot see the end of, you will usually restore your access to the second page. You are proof of that (twice at least).
If you do nothing at all, eventually the problem will go away as others continue to post to the thread.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It happens. It is so intermittent that nobody seems to be able to identify the problem and fix it.
You can always work around it by changing (either increasing or decreasing) the number of posts per page in your General Settings.
Thanks. I'll have to remember that.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
All makes sense, but doing reinspections for no additional charge vs complaining about the paperwork with additional charges doesn't make sense to me. The additional charges are there to make up for lost revenue for doing additional work on your part.

I don't see how your department is losing money by sending out a notice plus reinspection fee vs. reinspecting for no additional charge - then having to come back again because you didn't tell them exactly what needed changed. If the reinspection fee is not enough to cover actual costs, then the amount of the fee needs re-evaluated.

I will not get into the battles you probably have with non-qualified installers, but majority of your contractors will probably get it right with the first correction notice - if they know what you are asking to be corrected. If I had a 200,000 square foot building and all you mentioned as a deficiency is "improper cable securing or support", how am I supposed to know if you mean most of it is wrong (at least in your opinion) or if you just found a couple places that needed attention? And if just a couple of places, what is wrong with pointing out where they are at?

Well I make $35 and hour, plus truck, insurance, etc. Got out make inspection let's say one hour, come back to office type letter let's say 30 minutes, file paper work, supervisor review letter, clerk type letter, office staff to route and mail letter, misc. Way more than $50 in peoples time.

The difference in a SF home and a 200,000 sq ft, is usually in the contractors. I would expect that if you are doing a 200,000 sq ft building you would probably be there for your inspections. If you don't find that job important enough to meet me or think that your time is more important than mine, don't expect to see a correction notice that says "you are missing a strap on the third stud over from the door in office #20, right above the receptacle, and also by the 8th light fixture from the south west corner of the open office area."

Now just to clarify that, I'm also probably not going to waste my time writting a correctio notice for two straps, but I will be looking harder now, because I need to see what else you missed, because once I do start writting, I write everything.

cowboyjwc

Staff member

Well I make $35 and hour, plus truck, insurance, etc. Go out make inspection let's say one hour, come back to office type letter let's say 30 minutes, file paper work, supervisor review letter, clerk type letter, office staff to route and mail letter, misc. Way more than $50 in peoples time.

The difference in a SF home and a 200,000 sq ft, is usually in the contractors. I would expect that if you are doing a 200,000 sq ft building you would probably be there for your inspections. If you don't find that job important enough to meet me or think that your time is more important than mine, don't expect to see a correction notice that says "you are missing a strap on the third stud over from the door in office #20, right above the receptacle, and also by the 8th light fixture from the south west corner of the open office area."

Now just to clarify that, I'm also probably not going to waste my time writting a correctio notice for two straps, but I will be looking harder now, because I need to see what else you missed, because once I do start writting, I write everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.